- More than 75% of respondents said they had at one time or another purchased a gift card to give as a holiday present.
- Satisfaction with receiving gift cards as a holiday gift increased by 4% with a little over 84% of respondents saying they were "Satisfied" or "Very Satisfied" with receiving gift cards as a holiday present, up from 80% last year.
- The most popular occasion for giving a gift card is as a birthday gift, but over 70% of those surveyed thought gift cards are well-suited as gifts for the holidays.
- Although department store and restaurant gift cards are chosen as the most popular type of gift card to give and receive, grocery stores and gas station gift cards are also popular, due in part to the ongoing difficult economic climate.
- Gift cards with a value of $25 were the most popular denomination.
- Kids are the most common recipients of the over $30 billion in holiday gift card purchases.
- The most common reasons respondents said they buy gift cards as holiday gifts are to allow recipients to choose their own gift and make holiday shopping easier.
MyPoints.com, Inc., operator of a leading daily online rewards program and a subsidiary of United Online, Inc. (Nasdaq: UNTD), recently announced the results of its second annual Holiday Gift Card survey, which polls consumers' attitudes toward giving and receiving gift cards. MyPoints contacted a random group of 1,000 MyPoints shoppers from its base of over nine million registered accounts and asked them questions ranging from "How many gift cards do you plan to buy to give as a present this holiday season?" to "What kind of gift card would you most like to receive?" The biggest news is that over 50% of those surveyed said they plan to buy one or more gift cards to give as a present this holiday season. Other results from the survey include: