- As 70% of those surveyed plan to shop online this holiday season, a surprising 1 in 4 (24%) of them plan to use their mobile devices, and while aware of the risks, they are willing to give away their personal information if they can get something they value in return.
- In fact, despite the fact that 87% of smartphone or tablet owners surveyed are at least somewhat concerned that their personal information could be stolen while using an app on a smartphone or tablet, nearly nine in ten of them are willing to provide some level of personal information in order to receive an offer that is of value to them.
- With roughly three in ten (28%) American smartphone and/or tablet owners admitting they do not pay attention at all to app permissions and 36% paying attention but specifying they do not always do so, Cyber-Scrooge criminals are ready to pounce.
“For the millions of consumers who plan to go online this holiday season to shop for the best deals, finalize travel plans and update their social channels, it’s important that they enjoy those activities safely by checking their security protection on their computers and mobile devices first,” said Gary Davis, vice president of McAfee Global Consumer Marketing. “To keep their personal and financial information secure, it’s also important to be wary of offers that are too good to be true, not click on links or open attachments from people they don’t know or companies’ emails or sites that look suspect, and go directly to websites by typing their name in web address bar.”Additional Resources For more information on the:
- McAfee 12 Scams of Christmas List and Tips for Consumers to Stay Safe, go to: https://blogs.mcafee.com/consumer/12-scams-of-christmas-2012 and www.mcafee.com/12scams
- Mobile and Online Holiday Shopping Survey: http://www.mcafee.com/us/resources/reports/rp-holiday-shopping-survey-2012.pdf
- Infographic and Robert Siciliano’s thoughts on the latest scams: https://blogs.mcafee.com/consumer/12-scams-of-holidays
- Web surfers can also visit the McAfee Security Advice Center and Facebook page at www.facebook.com/mcafee for information on the latest threats, and tips on surfing safely.
About Harris InteractiveHarris Interactive is one of the world's leading market research firms, leveraging research, technology, and business acumen to transform relevant insight into actionable foresight. Known widely for the Harris Poll® and for pioneering innovative research methodologies, Harris offers proprietary solutions in the areas of market and customer insight, corporate brand and reputation strategy, and marketing, advertising, public relations and communications research. Harris possesses expertise in a wide range of industries including health care, technology, public affairs, energy, telecommunications, financial services, insurance, media, retail, restaurant, and consumer package goods. Additionally, Harris has a portfolio of multi-client offerings that complement our custom solutions while maximizing our client's research investment. Serving clients in more than 196 countries and territories through our North American and European offices, Harris specializes in delivering research solutions that help us - and our clients—stay ahead of what's next. For more information, please visit www.harrisinteractive.com. 1 http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/google-play-hits-25-billion-app-downloads/