In a comparison between men and women, women showed a higher likelihood to seek out deals:
- To make the most of their holiday budget, 70 percent of women will look for special shopping incentives, compared to 56 percent of men who will do the same.
- Fifty-seven percent of women plan to search for and use coupon codes to get the best price, compared to 41 percent of men.
- More women, 54 percent compared to 48 percent of men, plan to limit purchases to items with deep sales, such as 25 percent off.
- More women than men would buy a gift through a group-buying site, at 67 percent and 54 percent, respectively.
- When asked to choose from the following five online deals they are looking for, shoppers ranked free shipping first with 79 percent, followed by exclusive sales and offers, coupon codes, early access to sales and Facebook-exclusive promotions.
- When asked to choose from holiday shopping “must-haves,” consumers selected free shipping, 50 percent off sales and 25 percent off sales as their top-ranked choices.
- Thirty-five percent of shoppers say they will use their credit card rewards as a form of currency to supplement their holiday shopping this holiday season. Of those who plan to do this, 58 percent say they will redeem their rewards for gift cards. Forty percent of women, but only 30 percent of men, plan to use credit card rewards to supplement their shopping.
- As for finding the best time to shop, more than one-third of shoppers, 36 percent, say they plan to do a majority of their holiday shopping on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Cash, Apparel & Electronics Top Consumers’ Wish ListsSurvey respondents say it’s hardest to find the perfect gift for family members and significant others. The Discover Holiday Shopping Survey found men and women have varying wish list priorities, although gift cards and money top both lists. Men and women also have different outlooks on what they’re most likely to do if they receive a gift they don’t like. For women, 57 percent say they are most likely to return/exchange a gift they dislike. Nearly half of men, 49 percent, are most likely to say they love the gift and keep it, no matter what it is.
|Men’s Top 10 Wish List||Women’s Top 10 Wish List|
|1. Gift cards||1. Gift cards|
|2. Money||2. Money|
|3. Consumer electronics||3. Apparel|
|4. Games/video games||4. Jewelry|
|5. Apparel||5. Tablet or e-reader|
|6. Tablet or e-reader||6. Consumer electronics|
|7. New smartphone||7. Adventure/Experience such as tickets to a concert or vacation|
|8. Adventure/Experience such as tickets to a concert or vacation||8. New smartphone|
|9. Memberships/subscriptions||9. Memberships/subscriptions|
|10. Jewelry||10. Games/video games|
About DiscoverDiscover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company operates the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers home loans, private student loans, personal loans, online savings accounts, certificates of deposit and money market accounts through its direct banking business. Its payment businesses consist of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in more than 185 countries and territories. For more information, visit www.discoverfinancial.com.