Total capital expenditures were $41 million in the third quarter of 2012 and $125 million year-to-date.Headcount as of September 30, 2012 of 3,061 was 16 below year-end 2011 levels despite the addition of 99 employees from the acquisition of Corpedia in June of 2012. The Board of Directors declared a cash dividend of $0.30 per share for the fourth quarter of 2012. The fourth quarter 2012 dividend is payable on December 28, 2012 to shareholders of record as of the close of business on December 14, 2012. The anticipated ex-date will be December 12, 2012. THIRD QUARTER 2012 SEGMENT RESULTS Below is a summary of business segment results:
|Derivatives||Cash Trading & Listings||Info. Svcs. & Tech. Solutions|
|($ in millions)||Net||Operating||Adjusted||Net||Operating||Adjusted||Operating||Adjusted|
|Revenue 1||Income 2||EBITDA 2||Revenue 1||Income 2||EBITDA 2||Revenue||Income 2||EBITDA 2|
|1 Net revenue defined as total revenues less transaction-based expenses including Section 31 fees, liquidity payments and routing & clearing fees.|
|2 Excludes merger expenses and exit costs.|
- NYSE Euronext and Bank of China Limited recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding to work together and consider mutually beneficial business ventures. The agreement will strengthen NYSE Euronext’s banking relationship with Bank of China and NYSE Euronext will provide guidance to Bank of China which will establish itself as a General Clearing Member of the London market of NYSE Liffe. With the increased importance of the renminbi (RMB) in the capital markets, both parties will work together to develop and launch RMB denominated products and explore the potential for RMB to be used as collateral in NYSE Euronext’s new clearinghouse in London.
- New York Portfolio Clearing, LLC (“NYPC”), a joint venture of The Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation and NYSE Euronext and a market leader in derivatives clearing, announced that J.P. Morgan Securities LLC and BNP Paribas Securities Corp. will join the expanding group of firms enjoying the capital efficiencies generated by the NYPC model.
- Swapnote product ADV in the third quarter of 2012 increased 26% compared to the third quarter of 2011 and increased 30% compared to the second quarter of 2012. The growth in ADV was primarily driven by a new market making program designed to expand liquidity in the product. Additionally, ADV in Medium Gilt futures increased 62% compared to the third quarter of 2011 and increased 108% versus the second quarter of 2012. The increase was driven by the re-launch of the Designated Market Making Program for Short and Medium term Gilt futures.
- NYSE Liffe launched 3 year mid-curve options on Euribor and Sterling in July 2012. The Euribor 3 year mid-curve option is the fastest growing new product for NYSE Liffe on record with open interest approaching 385,000 contracts and ADV of 23,000 contracts in first few months of trading.
- NYSE Liffe was the first European exchange to launch futures contracts on the Russell Europe SMID 300 Index on its market leading wholesale derivatives service, Bclear, on October 1, 2012. The Russell Europe SMID 300 Index contains the 300 most rapidly tradable constituents from the small- and mid-cap opportunity set in developed European markets.
- NYSE Liffe U.S. announced the addition of three new futures contracts based on MSCI global indices. The addition of mini MSCI Canada, mini MSCI Emerging Markets Latin America and mini MSCI World index futures offers customers more flexibility and control in implementing their desired exposure to key global markets and provides accessibility to a wider range of in-demand global economies.
- European cash ADV of 1.3 million transactions in the third quarter of 2012 decreased 31% from 1.9 million transactions in the third quarter of 2011 and decreased 23% from second quarter of 2012 levels. European cash market share (value traded) in NYSE Euronext’s four core markets was 68% in the third quarter of 2012, up from 66% in the third quarter of 2011 and up from 66% in the second quarter of 2012.
- NYSE Euronext announced the launch of a Retail Matching Facility (RMF) on its European regulated cash markets, a new service which enables Retail Liquidity Providers to offer price improvement to retail investors. This initiative, which meets all pre- and post-trade MiFID requirements, will be available in mid- January 2013.
- In the U.S., cash trading ADV in the third quarter of 2012 decreased 39% to 1.6 billion shares from 2.6 billion shares in the third quarter of 2011 and decreased 13% from the second quarter of 2012. Tape A matched market share was 32% in the third quarter of 2012, down from 36% in the third quarter of 2011 and down slightly from second quarter of 2012. Trading off exchange, as reported by the Trade Reporting Facility (“TRF”) has increased to 32% of overall consolidated average daily volume in the third quarter of 2012 from 28% in the third quarter of 2011.
- Through the third quarter of 2012, NYSE Euronext was ranked #1 in IPOs both globally and in the United States. NYSE Euronext raised $27.0 billion in total global proceeds on 86 Initial Public Offerings (IPOs). In the U.S., NYSE Euronext listed 57% of all IPOs, bringing 57 IPOs to the U.S. market. NYSE Euronext has steadily captured share in technology-based IPOs. NYSE Euronext listed 50% of the technology IPOs in the U.S., including the recent IPOs of ServiceNow, Inc., Palo Alto Networks Inc., and Trulia Inc. NYSE Euronext also leads the market for Non-U.S. issuers, notably listing the $3.6 billion initial public offering of Banco Santander (Mexico), the second largest U.S. IPO of 2012.
- NYSE Euronext welcomed two additional transfers in the third quarter of 2012, U.S. Physical Therapy Inc. and On Assignment, Inc. Through the third quarter of 2012, 10 companies transferred to the NYSE with three departures from the NYSE and one from NYSE MKT. Sinc e 2010, a total of 40 companies have transferred to NYSE and 14 have transferred to another U.S. exchange.
- Corpedia and Corporate Board Member, both NYSE Euronext companies, announced a partnership to provide corporate directors, chief compliance officers, general counsel, and executives with a robust, integrated suite of governance oversight solutions. The suite features director education resources and online training in key risk areas, comparative tools, and research and Continuing Legal Education programs to help directors and officers achieve the highest standards of corporate conduct and compliance.
- NYSE Technologies announced a partnership with Russell Investments to provide technology solutions and server co-location for RussellTick, which includes real time index data for the $3.9 trillion Russell index series. Utilizing the existing NYSE Euronext Global Index Feed (GIF) technology, NYSE Euronext will become the real time distributor of Russell’s real time product RussellTick in early December 2012.
- NYSE Technologies is currently revamping global data agreements, including pricing, to better reflect how data is used today. This is anticipated to result in more data products and more favorable pricing and is expected to drive market data revenue higher.
- NYSE Technologies announced that in collaboration with Bolsa Mexicana de Valores (BMV) and Americas Trading Group (ATG) it has built and deployed a state-of-the-art trading infrastructure complete with global connectivity, risk management functionality and direct market data distribution for customers trading in Mexican markets.