They helped get products to market in half the time. Drove global innovation breakthroughs. Helped build connections, collaborations and product equity. They are P&G’s (NYSE:PG) top Connect+Develop open innovation partners. And this week, as part of its Annual C+D Partnership Celebration, P&G is recognizing seven, among its hundreds of partners, for their innovation and collaboration that have driven business results. “Our Connect+Develop partnerships are helping us deliver game-changing innovations and strengthen our productivity culture,” said P&G Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer Bob McDonald. “We celebrate their work, and thank them for their partnership.” The collection of winners are widely diverse: from small firms to global operations to academia. Some are located near P&G’s global headquarters in Cincinnati, others are scattered around the world. “Their collaboration with our teams has been seamless and wholly focused on helping deliver a superior product for consumers,” said Laura Becker, General Manager P&G Global Business Development. This year’s winners are:
- 2012 Connect+Develop Partner of the Year MonoSol of La Porte, IndianaMonoSol partnered with P&G to develop Tide Pods, launched this year as the biggest innovation in laundry in 20 years and achieving a 68% share of the unit dose segment in just months. Tide Pods is a three-chamber liquid unit dose that cleans, fights stains and brightens. Key was MonoSol’s innovation of a clear film that separates the chambers, dissolves completely even in varied degrees of cold water yet holds up to wet hands. “We wouldn’t have been able to deliver the biggest breakthrough in laundry in 20 years if we hadn’t partnered and collaborated with MonoSol on a solution to what seemed to be an unsolvable proposition,” McDonald said.
- James N. Gamble Product Innovation AwardZobele Group of Trento, ItalyThis award celebrates innovation in product formulation, packaging or technology that’s proven game-changing in delighting consumers, delivering value and driving business results.Zobele teams partnered with P&G to create a special scent-releasing membrane that made Febreze Set & Refresh a globally winning product. In addition, Zobele helped deliver the innovation to market in months versus years. The teams went on to reapply the membrane technology to Febreze Car Vent Clips and to the new Honeywell Febreze Freshness Floor Fans launched this summer in North America. “Zobele has been a highly collaborative partner, expanding our capability and capacity. Together, we’ve crashed through deadlines and delivered beyond expectations and sales projections,” Becker said.
- Innovation Capability Award (two winners)
- Beanstalk of New York
- d&a Visual Insights of Israel
- Trademark Licensee Partner of the YearButler Home Products of Marlborough, MAThis award celebrates commercial innovation partnerships that have driven breakthrough business results.Butler, a P&G partner for 12 years, became the first company to launch a nationally recognized consumer brand into the household cleaning tools category with their Mr. Clean partnership. They then expanded to include Dawn cleaning tools and to date, sell more than 100 P&G branded cleaning tools and accessories across North America, with an averaged 20% sales growth for the last several years. Butler also developed the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser mop, which quickly became the top selling mop in North America.
- Public / Private Partnership (two winners)
- University of Cincinnati Simulation Center of Cincinnati
- Center for Competitive Creative Design at Cranfield University of Cambridge, England