|Third Quarter||Year to Date|
|($000's)||2012||2011||% Change||2012||2011||% Change|
|Income from operations (1)||27,734||23,072||20||88,383||77,029||15|
|Net income (1)||18,067||15,798||14||57,246||51,667||11|
|Diluted EPS (1)||$||0.25||$||0.22||15||$||0.80||$||0.71||13|
|(1) 2012 YTD includes a charge related to a legal settlement discussed below.|
- Comparable restaurant sales increased 3.6% at company restaurants and 4.9% at franchise restaurants;
- Three company restaurants were opened;
- Restaurant margins, as a percentage of restaurant sales, decreased 8 basis points to 17.9%; and
- Diluted earnings per share increased 15% to $0.25 from $0.22 in the prior year.
- Comparable restaurant sales increased 4.8% at company restaurants and 5.5% at franchise restaurants;
- 18 company restaurants were opened;
- Restaurant margins, as a percentage of restaurant sales, increased 24 basis points to 18.7%;
- As previously disclosed, the Company recorded a one-time, pre-tax charge of $5.0 million ($3.1 million after-tax) in the first quarter of 2012 for a legal settlement, which had a $0.04 impact on diluted earnings per share; and
- Before the previously disclosed first quarter charge, diluted earnings per share increased 18% to $0.84 from $0.71 in the prior year.