- Our earnings increased 62% from the third quarter of 2011, driven by the 47% growth in sales and our ongoing focus on continuous improvement in our operations.
- New product introductions were a significant component of our sales growth as new product sales represented $130.3 million or 38% of sales in the first nine months of 2012. New product introductions in the first nine months of 2012 included:
- Ruger American Rifle
- SR22 pistol
- 10/22 Takedown rifle
- 22/45 Lite pistol
- Single-Nine revolver
- Demand for our products outpaced the growth in overall industry demand as measured by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) background checks (as adjusted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation) for both the third quarter and nine months ended September 29, 2012 as illustrated below:
|Period ended September 29, 2012|
|Increase in estimated Ruger Units Soldfrom Distributors to Retailers||62%||60%|
|Increase in total adjusted NICSBackground Checks||22%||21%|
- Cash generated from operations during the nine months ended September 29, 2012 was $61.8 million. At September 29, 2012, our cash, cash equivalents, and short-term investments totaled $105.1 million, an increase of $24 million from December 2011. Our current ratio is 3.2 to 1 and we have no debt.
- In the first nine months of 2012, capital expenditures totaled $20.3 million, much of it related to new products and the expansion of production capacity. We expect to invest approximately $25 million for capital expenditures during 2012.
- In the first nine months of 2012, the Company returned $17.5 million to its shareholders through the payment of dividends. An additional $7.3 million in dividends will be paid to shareholders on November 26, 2012.
- At September 29, 2012, stockholders’ equity was $174 million, which equates to a book value of $9.08 per share, of which $5.49 per share was cash and equivalents.