Ways to Conduct Your Home InventoryMove from room to room recording the value of each of your possessions. It is also helpful to keep track of model numbers and stores where you purchased each item. Here are methods you can use:
- Notepad and camera - as you take photographs, write down the details of each item.
- Video camera - this is an easy method because you can narrate the details of each item while videotaping.
- Personal computer - personal finance software packages often include a home inventory program.
- Make sure you record the contents of closets, drawers and cabinets. The value of little things can add up quickly
- Store all lists, photographs and videotapes in a safe place off the premises. It is a good idea to keep back-ups as well.
- Update your home inventory. After making a significant purchase, be sure to add the information to your home inventory while it is still fresh in your mind.
- Keep all receipts, especially for big items such as jewelry, furs and collectibles. Also keep in mind that valuable items may need separate insurance coverage. Check with your agent.