Bally Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BYI)
- WIDE-AREA PROGRESSIVE INSTALLED BASE GROWS 94 PERCENT AND SETS RECORD QUARTERLY REVENUE; CASH CONNECTION™ INSTALLED BASE INCREASES TO 1,216 UNITS
- GAMING EQUIPMENT REVENUES INCREASE 28 PERCENT
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS APPROVES NEW $150 MILLION SHARE REPURCHASE PROGRAM; COMPANY REPURCHASED $67 MILLION WORTH OF STOCK SINCE JUNE 30, 2012
- INCREASES FISCAL 2013 DILUTED EPS GUIDANCE TO $3.05 TO $3.35
Additionally, the Company’s leverage ratio remains comfortably below 2.0 times, which leaves the Company’s share repurchases unrestricted under the terms of its credit agreement. This quarter represented the 20 th consecutive quarter the Company has repurchased its common stock.“The first quarter was momentous as we shipped our first Video Lottery Terminal (‘VLT’) units to the Atlantic Lottery Corporation, as well as initial Video Gaming Terminal (‘VGT’) units in Illinois,” said Ramesh Srinivasan, the Company’s President and Chief Operating Officer. “We are pleased with the feedback we received from customers earlier this month at G2E, where we showcased a significantly expanded game library and premium titles, such as NASCAR® and Pawn Stars™, and additional content for the Elite Bonusing Suite™. We remain confident in our growing for-sale content and in the performance of our wide-area progressive (‘WAP’) products including GREASE™ and Michael Jackson King of Pop™, and now our newest title, Betty Boop’s™ Fortune Teller, which yet again drove record quarterly gaming operations revenues and gross margin.”
|First Quarter Fiscal Year 2013 Highlights|
|Three Months Ended September 30,|
|2012||% Rev||2011||% Rev|
|(dollars in millions, except per share amounts)|
|Gaming Equipment (1)||$||39.2||47||%||$||28.4||44||%|
|Total gross margin||$||148.8||63||%||$||123.6||63||%|
|Selling, general and administrative||$||64.5||27||%||$||57.2||29||%|
|Research and development costs||25.1||11||%||23.4||12||%|
|Depreciation and amortization||5.6||2||%||5.6||3||%|
|(1) Gross Margin from Gaming Equipment and Systems excludes amortization related to certain intangibles, including core technology and license rights, which are included in depreciation and amortization.|
|Three Months EndedSeptember 30,|
|New gaming devices||4,608||3,399|
|New unit Average Selling Price (“ASP”)||$||16,853||$||16,624|
|As of September 30,|
|End-of-period installed base:|
|Linked progressive systems||2,251||1,181|
|Rental and daily-fee games||14,971||14,466|
|Centrally determined systems||39,192||48,125|
- Total revenue increased 21 percent to a first-quarter record $235 million as compared with $195 million last year.
- Adjusted EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, including share-based compensation), a non-GAAP financial measure, increased 33 percent to a first-quarter record $79 million as compared with $59 million last year.
- Selling, general and administrative expenses (“SG&A”) declined to 27 percent of total revenues from 29 percent last year. SG&A increased $7 million primarily due to an increase in payroll to support key new markets.
- Research and development expenses (“R&D”) decreased to 11 percent of total revenues compared to 12 percent last year, with revenues continuing to grow faster than R&D expense growth.
- Operating income increased 43 percent to a first-quarter record $54 million compared with $37 million last year. Operating margin increased to 23 percent from 19 percent last year.
- Diluted EPS increased 71 percent to a first-quarter record $0.77 from $0.45 last year.
- Revenues increased 28 percent to $83 million as compared with $64 million last year, driven by higher domestic replacement sales, the shipment of 670 units to the Atlantic Lottery Corporation, and initial shipments into the Illinois VGT market.
- ASP of new gaming devices, including lower-ASP VLTs and VGTs, increased slightly to $16,853 per unit from $16,624 last year, primarily as a result of the mix of Pro Series™ cabinets sold in the quarter.
- New-unit sales to international customers were 16 percent of total new-unit shipments.
- Gross margin increased to 47 percent from 44 percent last year, primarily due to mix and cost reductions on certain models of the Pro Series line of cabinets.
- Revenues increased 19 percent to a record $101 million as compared with $85 million last year, driven primarily by 94 percent growth in the installed base of WAP games, as well as previously placed games at Resorts World Casino New York City which opened in late calendar 2011.
- Gross margin decreased to 69 percent from 71 percent last year, primarily due to higher jackpot expense.
- Revenues increased 13 percent to $51 million as compared with $46 million last year.
- Maintenance revenues increased 17 percent to a record $21 million as compared with $18 million last year.
- Gross margin increased to 77 percent from 76 percent last year, primarily as a result of the change in mix of products. Specifically, hardware sales were 26 percent of systems revenues, and software and service sales were 34 percent, as compared to 28 percent for hardware and 33 percent for software and services in the same period last year.
The Company has provided this range of earnings guidance for fiscal 2013 to give investors general information on the overall direction of its business at this time. The guidance provided is subject to numerous uncertainties, including, among others, overall economic and capital-market conditions, the market for gaming devices and systems, changes in gaming legislation, the timing of new jurisdictions and casino openings, the timing and completion of new systems installations, competitive product introductions, complex revenue-recognition rules related to the Company’s business, and assumptions about the Company’s new product introductions and regulatory approvals. The Company does not intend and undertakes no obligation to update its forward-looking statements, including forecasts, potential opportunities for growth in new and existing markets, and future prospects for proposed new products. Accordingly, the Company does not intend to update guidance during the quarter. Additional information about the factors that could potentially affect the Company’s financial results included in today’s press release can be found in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.New Share Repurchase Program This week the Company’s Board of Directors approved a new $150 million share repurchase program. The shares may be repurchased in such amounts as management deems appropriate in light of prevailing market and economic conditions, alternative uses of capital, restrictions under the Company’s debt obligations, regulatory requirements, and other factors. In implementing its repurchase program, the Company may utilize a variety of methods, which may include open market purchases, privately negotiated transactions, block trades, accelerated share repurchase transactions, or any combination thereof. Purchases may be made on a case-by-case basis or on a non-discretionary basis in a manner designed to comply with the requirements of Rule 10b5-1 and/or Rule 10b-18 under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. This program does not obligate the Company to acquire any particular amount of common stock. The program may be suspended, modified, or discontinued at any time at the discretion of the Company's Board of Directors and has no set expiration date.
Bally and IGT Settle Patent LitigationBally and International Game Technology (NYSE:IGT) announced today they have entered into a Settlement and License Agreement that will end their pending patent litigation in the case styled IGT v. Bally Gaming Int’l, Inc., Civil Action No. 1:06-cv-00282-SLR (D. Del.). As part of the settlement agreement, Bally Technologies will obtain a patent license to IGT’s bonusing portfolio under confidential terms and will dismiss its counterclaims with prejudice. Non-GAAP Financial Measures The following table reconciles the Company’s net income attributable to Bally Technologies, Inc., as determined in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”), to Adjusted EBITDA:
|Three Months Ended|
|Income from continuing operations, net of tax||$||32,532||$||20,392|
|Interest expense, net||3,473||3,273|
|Income tax expense||18,429||11,853|
|Depreciation and amortization||21,319||20,209|
Earnings Conference Call and WebcastAs previously announced, the Company is hosting a conference call and webcast today at 4:30 p.m. EDT (1:30 p.m. PDT). The conference-call dial-in number is 888-396-2384 or 617-847-8711 (International); passcode “Bally”. The webcast can be accessed by visiting BallyTech.com and selecting “Investor Relations.” Interested parties should initiate the call and webcast process at least five minutes prior to the beginning of the presentation. For those who miss this event, an archived version will be available at BallyTech.com until November 25, 2012. About Bally Technologies, Inc. With a history dating back to 1932, Las Vegas-based Bally Technologies designs, manufactures, operates, and distributes advanced technology-based gaming devices and systems worldwide, as well as interactive and mobile solutions. Bally’s product line includes reel-spinning slot machines, video slot machines, wide-area progressives, and Class II, lottery, and central determination games and platforms. Bally also offers an array of casino management, slot accounting, bonusing, cashless, and table-management solutions. Additional Company information, including the Company’s investor presentation, can be found at BallyTech.com. Connect with Bally on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn. This news release may contain “forward-looking” statements within the meaning of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, and is subject to the safe harbors created thereby. Forward looking-statements are subject to change and involve risks and uncertainties that could significantly affect future results, including those risks detailed from time to time in the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Although the Company believes any expectations expressed in any forward-looking statements are reasonable, future results may differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. The Company undertakes no obligation to update the information in this press release except as required by law and represents that the information speaks only as of today’s date. — BALLY TECHNOLOGIES, INC. —
Michael Jackson − ©2012 Triumph International, Inc. under license from Bravado Merchandising. All rights reserved. GREASE − ©2012 Paramount Pictures. All Rights Reserved. NASCAR − NASCAR® is a registered trademark of the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. NASCAR® is a registered trademark of NASCAR, Inc.; Pawn Stars − ©2012 A&E Television Networks, LLC. All rights reserved. Pawn Stars, HISTORY, the “H” and their associated logos are trademarks of A&E Television Networks, LLC. Gold & Silver and its associated logos are trademarks of Gold & Silver Coin Shop, Inc. All rights reserved. Betty Boop ©2012 King Features Syndicate, Inc.™ Hearst Holding, Inc. www.BettyBoop.com
|BALLY TECHNOLOGIES, INC. AND SUBSIDIARIESUNAUDITED CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONSFOR THE THREE MONTHS ENDED SEPTEMBER 30, 2012 AND 2011|
|Three Months Ended|
|(in 000s, except per share amounts)|
|Gaming equipment and systems||$||134,011||$||110,013|
|Costs and expenses:|
|Cost of gaming equipment and systems (1)||55,354||47,101|
|Cost of gaming operations||30,993||24,232|
|Selling, general and administrative||64,516||57,222|
|Research and development costs||25,095||23,386|
|Depreciation and amortization||5,604||5,635|
|Other income (expense):|
|Income from operations before income taxes||49,373||32,262|
|Income tax expense||(18,429||)||(11,853||)|
|Less net income (loss) attributable to noncontrolling interests||(1,588||)||17|
|Net income attributable to Bally Technologies, Inc.||$||32,532||$||20,392|
|Basic and Diluted earnings per share attributable to Bally Technologies, Inc.:|
|Basic earnings per share||$||0.80||$||0.47|
|Diluted earnings per share||$||0.77||$||0.45|
|Weighted average shares outstanding:|
|(1) Cost of gaming equipment and systems excludes amortization related to certain intangibles, including core technology and license rights, which are included in depreciation and amortization.|
|September 30,2012||June 30, 2012|
|(in 000s, except share amounts)|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||55,811||$||32,673|
|Accounts and notes receivable, net of allowances for doubtful accounts of $16,674 and $14,073||274,081||264,842|
|Prepaid and refundable income tax||14,035||13,755|
|Deferred income tax assets||41,695||42,822|
|Deferred cost of revenue||20,319||17,615|
|Other current assets||3,491||6,980|
|Total current assets||509,696||480,459|
|Restricted long-term investments||10,887||12,171|
|Long-term accounts and notes receivables, net of allowances for doubtful accounts of $3,695 and $3,029||45,348||55,786|
|Property, plant and equipment, net of accumulated depreciation of $57,949 and $58,823||32,763||30,667|
|Leased gaming equipment, net of accumulated depreciation of $192,556 and $185,846||124,912||121,151|
|Intangible assets, net||37,046||39,166|
|Deferred income tax assets||7,892||7,409|
|Income tax receivable||12,041||12,041|
|Deferred cost of revenue||14,627||16,542|
|Other assets, net||22,083||23,104|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS’ EQUITY|
|Accrued and other liabilities||83,720||85,310|
|Income tax payable||14,000||12,226|
|Current maturities of long-term debt||19,034||17,091|
|Total current liabilities||214,111||214,037|
|Long-term debt, net of current maturities||538,750||494,375|
|Other income tax liability||14,210||13,922|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Special stock, 10,000,000 shares authorized: Series E, $100 liquidation value;115 shares issued and outstanding||12||12|
|Common stock, $.10 par value; 100,000,000 shares authorized; 63,481,000 and63,150,000 shares issued and 40,894,000 and 42,102,000 outstanding||6,340||6,309|
|Treasury stock at cost, 22,587,000 and 21,048,000 shares||(858,709||)||(790,633||)|
|Additional paid-in capital||500,904||489,002|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(12,966||)||(13,477||)|
|Total Bally Technologies, Inc. stockholders’ equity||173,008||196,108|
|Total stockholders’ equity||172,787||197,475|
|Total liabilities and stockholders’ equity||$||989,390||$||970,467|