Gen Xers were graduating from college and entering the adult world after the 1987 stock market crash and the recession that followed, so many were left jobless and moved in with their parents. This somewhat "bleak inheritance" shaped their future financial attitudes and shopping behaviors much like The Great Recession has influenced Millennials.That "shaping" has led to some interesting budget-conscious moves by Generation X:
- 37% buy consumer brands on sale rather than more expensive brands, (45% of Millennials do so).
- 20% will "steer clear" of specific shopping aisles to avoid buying a pricey item, (compared with 22% of Millennials and 15% of suddenly hard-pressed boomers).
- 69% make a shopping list before heading to the grocery store (more than both boomers and seniors).
- 48% use coupons, and 49% take circulars with them when shopping.
- 55% download recipes off the Internet, while an equal number download coupons off manufacturer and retailer websites.