Barnes & Noble, Inc. ( NYSE: BKS), the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced the debut of a new bookstore on November 7 at the Central Park shopping center, 1220 Carl D. Silver Parkway, in Fredericksburg, Virginia. The store will include a vast sales floor of more than 60,000 books, newsstand titles, gifts and DVDs, a NOOK Boutique showcasing the company’s family of award-winning NOOK Readers and Tablets, a new Educational Toys & Games Department, and a Café featuring Starbucks coffee. The Central Park Barnes & Noble will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 10:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. on Sunday. The store will serve the suburban Washington, D.C. market including Spotsylvania County and employ approximately 75 people from the community. To celebrate the Grand Opening of the new Central Park Barnes & Noble, the NOOK Simple Touch™ Reader will be available for only $59, our lowest price ever, starting November 14*. NOOK Simple Touch has the most advanced E Ink display with lightening fast page turns at the world’s best value – normally at the low price of $99 without distracting ads – and a must-have for anyone who loves to read. This amazing limited time offer, which ends November 23, 2012, is available at the Central Park Barnes & Noble location only. The public is also invited to the Grand Opening Celebration event at the Central Park Barnes & Noble on Wednesday, November 7, from 9:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. A portion of the Grand Opening proceeds will benefit the Hugh Mercer Elementary School. As the only elementary school in the town of Fredericksburg, Hugh Mercer is where every child gets his or her start in the community. Students from Hugh Mercer Elementary will sing for customers during the Grand Opening Celebration.
“We are thrilled to have this great opportunity to establish a new store in the community of Fredericksburg,” said David Deason, Vice President, Development. “With this new store, we will provide the community with a vast selection of books, educational toys and games, and our innovative family of NOOK Readers and Tablets, supported by extraordinary customer service for which Barnes & Noble is known. Our booksellers are excited to meet the community and recommend great reads and create memorable experiences.”The new Central Park Barnes & Noble will feature:
- Large-scale Children’s and Teen Departments. Bigger than most typical bookstores and stocking more than 12,000 titles in an easy-to-browse environment, the Children’s Department is designed to appeal to children, parents, teachers and librarians. Our expansive Teens section features more than 3,000 titles specially selected to appeal to the reading interests of young adults. The Children’s Department will also host weekly Storytimes and other events featuring guest readers and costumed characters.
- Giant Newsstand. The store’s Newsstand stocks thousands of magazines, including hundreds of imported magazines, specialty titles, as well as a wide selection of newspapers and popular bestselling comic series.
- NOOK Boutique. Barnes & Noble welcomes NOOK customers to shop for our award-winning family of NOOK devices, including our new NOOK® HD and NOOK® HD+. Our knowledgeable team of NOOK experts will answer any questions and provide immediate, in-person support. The NOOK Boutique will also feature our outstanding collection of must-have NOOK accessories including designer covers and functional essentials to complete the experience. Also, to help our customers learn more about NOOK features and benefits, the store will host a weekly NOOK class, Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m.
- Educational Toys & Games Department. Barnes & Noble features the world’s smartest selection of curated educational toys and games at great values to encourage early childhood development and a lifelong love of learning and reading. This department also offers a vast assortment of games and puzzles specially selected for teens and adults at unbeatable prices to satisfy our customers’ diverse interests.
- B&N@School. The new B&N@School Department features educational tools and resources for teachers, librarians and parents. Educators are also offered 20% off merchandise for classroom use through Barnes & Noble’s Educator Program.
- Community Center. This store will serve as a local community center, hosting a number of community-oriented events throughout the year, including author signings and discussions, book clubs and programs with local literary and cultural organizations, and other annual events such as the Holiday Book Drive. The Business Development Department will also help local educators and businesses fulfill their digital needs through NOOK in Education and NOOK in Business. Tailored NOOK demonstrations and purchasing programs are available. Please contact Ron Burch at (540)785-8152 for further details.
- Barnes & Noble Café Featuring Starbucks® Coffee and Cheesecake Factory Bakery® products. Relax and enjoy delicious food and drinks in a welcoming Café setting, including Starbucks beverages, desserts from the Cheesecake Factory Bakery, fresh-baked cookies and scones, soup, sandwiches, quiche and more.
- The Barnes & Noble Membership Program. Designed for Barnes & Noble’s best customers, this program gives Members 40% off hardcover bestsellers and 10% off virtually everything else in Barnes & Noble stores and online at BN.com. Members also benefit from free express shipping on all online purchases at BN.com. The annual fee is $25.
- Rapid special-order service. Can’t find it on the shelf? Barnes & Noble’s massive warehouse inventory is available in real-time, enabling its booksellers to order and confirm the availability of over one million titles at the click of a button.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi Service. Browse & download books, magazines, & newspapers in seconds, & easily check email via the free Wi-Fi® connection offered at all Barnes & Noble stores provided by AT&T. NOOK owners receive extra perks such as coupons and exclusive content from top authors when they connect their device to our complimentary Wi-Fi through our More in Store program.