- A Safe Internet is Crucial to U.S. Economy: Ninety percent of Americans agree that a safe and secure Internet is crucial to our nation's economic security.
- The Internet is Vital to American Jobs: Fifty-nine percent say their job is dependent on a safe and secure Internet and 78 percent say losing Internet access for 48 consecutive hours would be disruptive with 33 percent saying it would be extremely disruptive.
- A Majority of Americans Do Not Feel Completely Safe Online: Ninety percent say they do not feel completely safe from computer viruses, malware and hackers while on the Internet.
- A Quarter of Americans Were Notified That Their Personal Data was Exposed to Potential Thieves in the Past Year: Over one in four (26 percent) received notification by a business, online service provider or organization that their personally identifiable information (e.g. password, credit card number, email address, etc.) was lost or compromised because of a data breach.
- Keep a Clean Machine.
- Protect Your Personal Information.
- Connect with Care.
- Be Web Wise.
- Be a Good Online Citizen.
The Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG) and National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) led the effort to find a unified online safety message that could be adopted across public and private sectors.