Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. Barrick Gold Corporation ( ABX) pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today making it today's featured basic materials winner. The sector as a whole closed the day up 1.2%. By the end of trading, Barrick Gold Corporation rose $1.08 (2.6%) to $42.19 on average volume. Throughout the day, 8.1 million shares of Barrick Gold Corporation exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 8.5 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $41.42-$42.19 after having opened the day at $41.65 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $41.11. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that increased today were: Energy Services of America Corporation ( ESA), up 13.2%, James River Coal Company ( JRCC), up 11.7%, Gold Reserve ( GRZ), up 9.3%, and Gastar Exploration ( GST), up 8%.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Get full access to Jim Cramer's thoughts for less than $3/week - sometimes before he says them on TV! Start with a 14-Day Free Trial.
- You can view the full Barrick Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.