SMITHFIELD, Va., Oct. 2, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE:SFD) announced today that its detailed sustainability results for fiscal 2012 can be found at the newly updated www.smithfieldcommitments.com , the website dedicated to sharing information regarding the core sustainability programs critical to Smithfield Foods' business. The company is making significant progress towards its core sustainability goals and targets. Among the 2012 highlights:
- Each independent operating company has introduced new packaging reduction projects;
- Normalized greenhouse gas emissions were down 11% since fiscal 2008;
- 100% of facilities dedicated to producing meat for human consumption were certified to the Global Food Safety Initiative;
- Contributions of over $1.2 million were made to education programs that benefit Smithfield Foods' employees and their children; and
- 2012 was Smithfield's second most profitable year, topped only by 2011.