SMITHFIELD, Va., Oct. 2, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE:SFD) announced today that its detailed sustainability results for fiscal 2012 can be found at the newly updated www.smithfieldcommitments.com , the website dedicated to sharing information regarding the core sustainability programs critical to Smithfield Foods' business. The company is making significant progress towards its core sustainability goals and targets. Among the 2012 highlights:
- Each independent operating company has introduced new packaging reduction projects;
- Normalized greenhouse gas emissions were down 11% since fiscal 2008;
- 100% of facilities dedicated to producing meat for human consumption were certified to the Global Food Safety Initiative;
- Contributions of over $1.2 million were made to education programs that benefit Smithfield Foods' employees and their children; and
- 2012 was Smithfield's second most profitable year, topped only by 2011.
About Smithfield FoodsSmithfield Foods is a $13 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield ®, Eckrich ®, Farmland ®, Armour ®, Cook's ®, Gwaltney ®, John Morrell ®, Kretschmar ®, Curly's ®, Carando ®, Margherita ®, and Healthy Ones ®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental, and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com and www.smithfieldcommitments.com . The Smithfield Foods, Inc. logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=7622
CONTACT: Keira Lombardo Smithfield Foods, Inc. (757) 365-3050 email@example.com