Escape Planning Safety Tips from Domino's and NFPA
- Visit each room in your home and plan two ways out. One way out will be a door and the second way could be another door or a window.
- All windows and doors should open easily. You should be able to use them to get outside.
- Pick a meeting place outside in front of your home. This is where everyone will meet once they've escaped.
- Make sure your home has working smoke alarms on every level, inside each bedroom and outside each sleeping area. For the best protection, they should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Learn the emergency number for your fire department.
- Practice your home fire escape drill!
- If the smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside. Call the fire department from outside the home using a cell or neighbor's phone.