“Quick” and “effortless” are not words being used by many women when discussing their last car purchase, according to a recent poll conducted for CarMax, Inc. (NYSE: KMX), the nation’s largest retailer of used cars. Nearly a quarter of the women surveyed said their last car purchase was a hassle, and many others felt they lacked a fair and reasonable trade-in value, financing, and purchase price. These results are similar to responses from women over the past few years. “Women often commit a lot of time, research and thought into a vehicle purchase, and want to feel confident in their decision,” says Donna Wassel, Southwest regional vice president of CarMax. “With research tools, transparency and no-haggle prices offered by CarMax, shoppers can have a smooth, straightforward purchase they can feel good about.” The following are the results of the recent poll that asked women: Thinking about the last time that you bought a car, which of the following was most missing?
|Response||Percentage in 2012||Percentage in 2011||Percentage in 2009|
|A quick, effortless transaction||24||26||25|
|A fair trade-in value||18||15||19|
|A reasonable finance rate||17||13||13|
|Low, fair pricing||15||15||13|
|A trustworthy salesperson||12||15||15|
CarMax offers the following tips for women car shoppers:
- Do research on websites such as carmax.com to search thousands of vehicles, see actual prices, view multiple photos, obtain vehicle history reports, read customer reviews and more.
- Print out information about the vehicles you are interested in, and have them ready when you step onto the lot.
- If you plan on selling your car, bring key paperwork items with you, including title and registration for your current vehicle, your driver’s license, and insurance card.
- If you have been pre-approved for a car loan, bring the approval letter with you.
- Find a car retailer and salesperson you like and trust by asking friends and family for referrals.
- Try a retailer like CarMax, that offers no-haggle prices and a la carte pricing on each part of the car buying transaction – the vehicle price, the extended service plan, the trade-in, and the financing.
- Consider selling your car separately from your car purchase. CarMax offers free appraisals.
- Have confidence. You have done your research and are prepared to make a smart car buying decision.
- Ask as many questions as you need so you understand exactly what you are paying for.
- Be prepared to walk away if you are unhappy with your car buying experience.