- Triple the square miles of coverage compared to the company’s legacy Nextel National Network
- Instant call set-up time on domestic PTT calls
- International coverage to Latin American countries that most frequently use PTT service; and,
- A range of rugged, military-spec handsets including the Motorola ADMIRAL™ smartphone
Earlier this year, Sprint announced it will decommission its iDEN network as early as June 30, 2013 as part of Network Vision plans. Network Vision is expected to add net economic value for Sprint from reduced roaming costs, cell-site reduction, backhaul efficiencies, more efficient use of capital, and energy cost savings.The company has already discontinued selling iDEN devices in most channels; Sprint will continue to support business customers with iDEN devices as needed during their transition to Sprint Direct Connect service. About Sprint Direct Connect: Sprint Direct Connect features a portfolio of push-to-talk services that allow individuals and groups to get more done – quickly and easily, with just the push of a button. Among the initial Sprint Direct Connect services:
- Direct Connect ®– Instant, one-to-one push-to-talk calling nationwide on the Sprint network, with any other Direct Connect subscriber. Direct Connect is the core push-to-talk feature and is designed for interoperability across Sprint and Nextel network platforms.
- Guaranteed Talk Permit – The assurance that when you hear the push-to-talk “chirp,” your call was successfully transmitted.
- Call Alert with Text – Send an audio alert with an optional text message to let another Direct Connect subscriber know you are trying to reach them, and why.
- Group Connect ® – Communicate with up to 20 other Sprint Direct Connect subscribers all at once – nationwide, at the push of one button.
- TeamDC SM – Communicate with up to 200 other Sprint Direct Connect subscribers at the same time nationwide.
- NextMail ® – Send a recorded message to any email worldwide or mobile handset via text message by using the Direct Connect button.
- Availability Notification – Request the availability status of another push-to-talk member and, if they are busy, request a notification when they are free.
- One-Touch Direct Connect – Allows quick access to multiple Direct Connect options.
About Sprint NextelSprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 56 million customers at the end of the second quarter of 2012 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The American Customer Satisfaction Index rated Sprint No. 1 among all national carriers in customer satisfaction and most improved, across all 47 industries, during the last four years. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 3 in its 2011 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.