WASHINGTON, Sept. 12, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- This month's CoStar Commercial Repeat Sale Indices (CCRSI) provide the market's first look at July 2012 commercial real estate pricing. Based on 741 repeat sales in July and more than 100,000 repeat sales since 1996, the CCRSI offers the broadest measure of commercial real estate repeat sales activity. September 2012 CCRSI National Results Highlights
- COMMERCIAL PROPERTY PRICES NOTCH BIG YEAR-OVER-YEAR GAINS: Reflecting continued improvement in property market fundamentals, the two broadest measures of aggregate pricing for commercial properties within the CCRSI—the Equal-Weighted U.S. Composite Index and the Value-Weighted U.S. Composite Index—both posted substantial gains in July 2012. The Equal-Weighted Composite Index increased by 5.9% in July 2012 compared to one year earlier. Overall pricing reflected in this index is now up a cumulative 6.3% from the trough in March 2011. The Value-Weighted Composite Index found that U.S. commercial real estate prices surged by 11.3% over the same one-year period.
- VALUE-WEIGHTED INDEX REMAINS ROBUST: Strong growth in the Value-Weighted Composite Index indicates the highest-priced properties at the top end of the market continue to lead the recovery in commercial real estate pricing. This index has now increased 33% from the market trough in January 2010, but remains 18.4% below its peak in September 2007.
- GENERAL COMMERCIAL PROPERTY SECTOR CATCHING UP: While the investment-grade market segment has been responsible for the bulk of pricing gains to date, pricing in the broader market dominated by smaller, less expensive properties has made significant strides in recent months. The Equal-Weighted General Commercial Index increased by 1.6% in July 2012 and has accumulated a 3.9% gain since the beginning of 2012. At the same time, pricing in the Equal-Weighted Investment Grade Index held its own, rising 2.1% in July 2012, and increasing 5.2% from one year earlier despite the volatility seen in pricing of this segment early in the year.
- TIME-ON-MARKET CONTINUES TO DECLINE: Coinciding with the positive overall price movement evident in the CCRSI, sellers of commercial properties appear to be finding a more accommodating market in 2012. The average time on market for sold properties decreased by almost 2% since the end of the first quarter in 2012. Similarly, the gap between initial asking and final sales price narrowed by more than 2.5% since the beginning of 2012. Also, the decline in the number of properties withdrawn from the sales market by prospective sellers is another indication of improving investor sentiment. In July 2012, the number of properties withdrawn from the market declined 11.4% since the same period last year.
- DISTRESS LEVELS CONTINUE TO ABATE: Only 16% of observed trades in July were distressed, 20.6% lower than the peak level observed in March 2011.
The CoStar indices are constructed using a repeat sales methodology, widely considered the most accurate measure of price changes for real estate. This methodology measures the movement in the prices of commercial properties by collecting data on actual transaction prices. When a property is sold more than one time, a sales pair is created. The prices from the first and second sales are then used to calculate price movement for the property. The aggregated price changes from all of the sales pairs are used to create a price index.More charts accompanying this release are available at http://media.globenewswire.com/cache/9473/file/15581.pdf CONTACT: For more information about CCRSI Indices, including our legal notices and disclaimer, please visit http://www.costar.com/ccrsi . ABOUT COSTAR GROUP, INC. CoStar Group (Nasdaq:CSGP) is commercial real estate's leading provider of information, analytics and marketing services. Founded in 1987, CoStar conducts expansive, ongoing research to produce and maintain the largest and most comprehensive database of commercial real estate information. Our suite of online services enables clients to analyze, interpret and gain unmatched insight on commercial property values, market conditions and current availabilities. Through LoopNet, the Company operates the most heavily trafficked commercial real estate marketplace online with more than 6.1 million registered members and 3.6 million unique monthly visitors. Headquartered in Washington, DC, CoStar maintains offices throughout the U.S. and in Europe, including the industry's largest professional research organization. For more information, visit http://www.costar.com . This news release includes "forward-looking statements" including, without limitation, statements regarding CoStar's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future. These statements are based upon current beliefs and are subject to many risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from these statements. The following factors, among others, could cause or contribute to such differences: the risk that the trends represented or implied by the indices will not continue or produce the results suggested by such trends; the possibility that conditions will not continue to improve at the low end of the market; the possibility that property market fundamentals will not continue to improve; the possibility that the highest-priced properties will not continue to lead the recovery in pricing; and the risk that investor demand and commercial real estate pricing levels will not continue at the levels or with the trends indicated in this release. More information about potential factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those discussed in the forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, those stated in CoStar's filings from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including CoStar's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011, and CoStar's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2012, under the heading "Risk Factors" section of each of these filings. All forward-looking statements are based on information available to CoStar on the date hereof, and CoStar assumes no obligation to update such statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
CONTACT: Richard Simonelli (202) 346-6394 email@example.com