- Backup and Share – Supports automated backup of selected data using user-supplied attached storage drives. Backup and Share drives may also be shared as Network Attached Storage.
- Data Protection – Continuously protects important data by monitoring changes and preserving all previous versions, with one-click restoration.
- Data Synchronization – Synchronizes files from Apple iOS devices to Windows and Mac OS devices in the Homecloud network.
- Media Sharing – Shares all movies, photos and music on the Homecloud network with media players, game consoles and network-enabled televisions.
- Network Attached Storage – Turns any attached storage drive into a network accessible drive.
- Disk Viewer – Displays the content of all storage drives plugged into the Homecloud DHM.
Westell Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: WSTL), a leading provider of telecommunications equipment for wireline, wireless and home networks, announced today that its new Homecloud TM product will be available for purchase on September 26, 2012. Homecloud is designed to create a personal computing “cloud” within a home or a small-business environment. The Homecloud Digital Home Manager (DHM) is a wireless router, a network hub, and an application server, all rolled into one. The DHM comes with an initial set of applications which enable automated data backup and sharing of content across devices using the Windows®, Mac OS® and Apple® iOS operating systems. Homecloud units may be purchased only via the Homecloud website, www.homecloud.com, beginning at 8:00 AM CDT on Wednesday, September 26, 2012. Orders will be accepted on a first-come basis, with limited quantities available, at a special introductory price of $180 per unit. Fulfillment will be provided by Amazon. “We are introducing a new kind of network product to the market,” said Rick Gilbert, Chairman and CEO of Westell Technologies. “Homecloud effectively networks multiple devices using a variety of operating systems, and significantly simplifies the management and sharing of data and media content. Basically, Homecloud allows the user to enjoy the benefits of backup and sharing without the privacy and security concerns or the bandwidth demands that are inherent in cloud-based solutions.” The innovative Homecloud DHM hardware uses a dual processor design with one processor dedicated to the router and the second processor dedicated to running applications. The initial release of Homecloud includes the following built-in applications that allow users to quickly protect, synchronize and share their data: