PS Vita owners will have the ability to activate data packages directly on their device. Rogers will offer two data packages on a month-to-month basis with no long term contract. Two plans will be available at launch including:
- 250 MB for $15.00, 30-day data package which starts at the date and time of purchase
- 5 GB for $35, 30-day data package which starts at the date and time of purchase
- Location-based application "near" will allow users to find out what other PS Vita owners in their vicinity are currently playing and what titles are most popular in the area. "near" also enables location-based gaming features such as "gifting," in which a user can access virtual game-related items that other users are sharing by checking in at geographic locations. For example, in the popular kart racing series ModNation Racers: Road Trip, PS Vita users will be able to collect rare gift items provided through the game when visiting specific points of interest in 45 major cities around the world. They can then share them with other PS Vita owners through the "near" application.
- "LiveArea™" is an interactive interface for each PS Vita software title in which users can access the latest information for games through PlayStation®Network.
- In addition, a variety of social networking and communications services such as Facebook, Flickr, foursquare, and Twitter will be available on PS Vita.