Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE: DLB) has announced that, with next-generation Dolby ® Digital Plus on Kindle Fire™ HD tablets, Amazon ® customers no longer have to sacrifice audio quality for the convenience of using a tablet to enjoy movies, television, or music. The next generation of Dolby Digital Plus, which dramatically enhances audio quality by delivering dynamic sound and crystal-clear dialogue, is now available for the first time on the new line of Kindle Fire HD tablets introduced by Amazon.com (NASDAQ: AMZN) today in Los Angeles. Already an established standard for multichannel audio in the living room, Dolby Digital Plus is the perfect complement to the Kindle Fire HD’s stunning display and provides a truly immersive high-definition entertainment experience. “Great sound is essential to great entertainment, and Amazon’s new Kindle Fire HD with Dolby Digital Plus ensures that consumers get the experience envisioned by the music artist, film director, or sound designer,” said Kevin Yeaman, President and CEO, Dolby Laboratories. “Kindle Fire HD changes the game with tablets and is proof of Amazon’s commitment to delivering the best mobile sound experiences with Dolby Digital Plus.” “Dolby is the leader in inventing and delivering innovative audio solutions, which made its technology a perfect complement to the sound system we designed into the Kindle Fire HD tablets. Customers have told us they want great sound for movies, music, and games. We knew we had the opportunity to invent from the ground up an incredible, immersive sound experience, which is just as important as the stunning HD display,” said Dave Limp, Vice President, Amazon Kindle. “We think the superior sound enabled by Dolby Digital Plus, coupled with Kindle Fire HD’s dual stereo speakers and custom audio profile optimization, will give customers a great sound experience enjoying the content they love.”
With next-generation Dolby Digital Plus, the Kindle Fire HD tablets will:
- Crisp, clear dialogue: Detect the presence of dialogue and works to improve its intelligibility so that the viewer hears the whole story.
- A more realistic, immersive surround sound experience: Enable any movies, television or music content played on the Kindle Fire HD’s stereo speakers or headphones to be heard with more depth, creating a powerful, virtual surround sound experience.
- Volume consistency: Include a unique volume-leveling technology that maintains one consistent volume level when the user switches back and forth between different forms of content, such as movies or web content, as well as between different media players.
- Custom tuning by Dolby engineers: Include features that are specifically designed to optimize audio played through the Kindle Fire HD. These features help to produce natural, balanced sound with more bass and treble. They also eliminate unnecessary noise and minimize distortion.
- Learn more about Dolby Digital Plus.
- See a video of the Dolby Digital Plus experience.
- To access the Dolby Digital Plus press kit, visit dolby.com/news.