Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Myers Industries (NYSE: MYE) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 30.76% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 41.42% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- MYERS INDUSTRIES INC has improved earnings per share by 30.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, MYERS INDUSTRIES INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.71 versus -$1.21 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.93 versus $0.71).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Containers & Packaging industry and the overall market, MYERS INDUSTRIES INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for MYERS INDUSTRIES INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 30.60%. Regardless of MYE's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 3.10% trails the industry average.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff