Before Worley takes the stage, the GM Foundation will present Operation Homefront with a $25,000 grant to help it provide emergency financial and other assistance to Michigan families of service members and wounded warriors.All week, active, reserve and retired military members and spouses can learn more about GM's military discounts and enter the Seize the Keys Camaro Sweepstakes. They and members of the public can be photographed with specially painted military vehicles and test-drive a new vehicle. Free public tours of four Navy and U.S. Coast Guard ships at the Renaissance Center, Port Authority and Nicholson Terminal include:
- US Brig Niagara: A Tall Ship replica of the original that played a decisive role in the Battle of Lake Erie (Renaissance Center)
- USS Hurricane: The third Cyclone-class patrol coastal ship, commissioned in 1993 (Port Authority)
- USCGC Katmai Bay: A 140-foot Bay-class icebreaking tug used for Homeland Security patrols and law enforcement (Port Authority)
- USS De Wert: A Navy Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate named after Hospitalman Richard De Wert, posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism while serving with the 7 th Marines during the Korean War. It was reported last year that the USS De Wert – during anti-piracy operations in the Indian Ocean – helped rescue the Italian vessel Montecristo from Somali pirates (Nicholson Terminal, with required shuttles from the Port Authority).
- GM Wintergarden military technology display – including two flight simulators – designed to encourage students' involvement in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) subjects
- Reproduction gun deck from a 1800s Coast Guard cutter, including a 200-pound replica cannon, surgical equipment, cooking supplies and navigation equipment. Coast Guard volunteers in period-style dress will answer visitors' questions.
- SeaPerch, an underwater robotics program that equips teachers and students with the resources they need to build an underwater Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) and enter it into competitive SeaPerch Challenges
- Test-drives of 2013 model year cars, trucks and crossovers from Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac
- Coast Guard demonstrations that include precision rifle drills and search-and-rescue operations ( Friday, Sept. 7 and Saturday, Sept. 8)