Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Santarus (Nasdaq: SNTS) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
- SNTS's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 77.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- SNTS's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.16 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, SNTS has a quick ratio of 1.88, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- SANTARUS INC has improved earnings per share by 25.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SANTARUS INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.07 versus -$0.32 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.14 versus $0.07).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Pharmaceuticals industry. The net income increased by 27.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $2.71 million to $3.45 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 429.77% to $7.05 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, SANTARUS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 1.30%.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff