Ixia (NASDAQ: XXIA), the leading global provider of converged IP and wireless network test solutions, today announced that it will demonstrate the most comprehensive test solution for next-generation virtualized data center infrastructures in Ixia booth #413 at VMworld 2012 in San Francisco from August 26-30. Ixia will also demonstrate a proof of concept where Ixia virtual ports (IxVM) are being used to test an OpenStack (Cloud OS) environment. Application virtualization in a cloud environment is a compelling solution with economic, flexibility, and capacity benefits for enterprises of all sizes. The shared and distributed nature of cloud computing components, however, makes it extremely difficult to predict requirements and optimize performance. A new, more specialized testing approach is required in order to measure the true capacity and quality of virtualized applications and infrastructures. Ixia’s IxNetwork and IxANVL solutions will test two important areas of network virtualization:
- Validating the virtualized infrastructure – the complexity of the infrastructure inherent in next-gen virtualized networks requires comprehensive testing in order to guarantee adequate robustness. Ixia’s demonstration will show:
- IxNetwork validating the performance of data center = infrastructure switching tiers using the new cloud infrastucture Quick Test. This Quick Test provides unique traffic profiles and the ability to create North-South and East-West traffic patterns;
- IxNetwork testing new layer 2 multi-path (L2MP) protocols needed to replace spanning-tree, including TRILL and SPBM; and
- IxNetwork and IxANVL testing OpenFlow for functionality, performance, and conformance.
- Enabling testing in the cloud – OpenStack and other cloud operating systems are enabling multi-tenancy data centers by providing a management layer on top of various hypervisors (virtualized servers). These cloud operating systems can be used to deploy VMs and provision the required networking connectivity:
- IxNetwork with IxVM (virtual Ixia ports running on a VM) Ixia will test performance VM to VM, through the vSwitch and out to physical network resources. This provides the unique ability to test IaaS and PaaS to determine performance prior to going live;
- Cloud providers can test multi-tenant virtualized infrastructures from layer 2/3, including vSwitches, through the application layer to ensure they can meet SLAs for enterprise customers once deployed; and
- Enabling Testing-as-a-Service for customers through the customer portal to test services upon spin up, before going live.
- Service level agreements (SLAs),
- Layer 2/3 infrastructure (components of the virtual switch, including functionality, conformance to standards, and performance), and
- Layer 4-7 functionality (VM migration, NAS/SAN/DCBx system capacity and performance, and cloud infrastructure security).
- By 2015, 35 percent of Global 2000 companies will generate revenue through cloud-enabled subscription-based services and revenue models, according to Gartner’s April 2011 report: Building a Strategy for a Subscription Economy.
- IDC's forecasts that OpenFlow and the SDN market will increase to $168 million market by 2013, and by 2016 it will be worth $2 billion.
- “Determining the performance characteristics of physical, virtualized, and soft application delivery and security products requires comprehensive testing using large-scale emulation of realistic user communities and high-capacity loads,” said Michael Haugh, senior market development manager at Ixia. “Ixia’s virtualization solutions provide the complex types and volumes of traffic that are required to test and demonstrate the performance and resilience of our next-generation virtualized data centers.”