- Total net sales for the second quarter were $105.1 million, an increase of 20.4% compared to the second quarter in the prior year. Comparable store sales, which include e-commerce sales, increased 5.1%. E-commerce sales were $9.8 million, an increase of 22% compared to the second quarter in the prior year.
- Gross profit increased 21.1% to $31.1 million. Gross margin was 29.6%, a 10 basis point increase over the second quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Operating loss on a GAAP basis was $3.3 million, including a one-time, non-cash charge to SG&A expense of $7.6 million, before tax, to recognize life to date compensation expense for stock options which was triggered by the consummation of the Company’s initial public offering in the second quarter.
- The annual tax rate for the second quarter was 33.6%. The quarter also included, as expected, a one-time net tax benefit of $1.0 million resulting from the Company’s conversion from an “S” Corporation to a “C” Corporation, the result of a $3.0 million deferred tax benefit and a nearly $2.0 million tax provision charge.
- On a GAAP basis, net loss was $1.2 million, or $0.04 per share, based on a weighted average share count of 27.3 million shares, which includes the non-cash charge to SG&A and the one-time net tax provision benefit mentioned above. This compares to net income of $3.5 million or $0.17 per diluted share based upon 20.5 million weighted average diluted shares in the second quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Adjusted net income for the quarter increased 49.3% to $2.6 million, or $0.09 per weighted average diluted share, compared to an adjusted net income of $1.7 million or $0.09 per weighted average diluted share in the second quarter of 2011. These results adjust GAAP net income for the one-time, non-cash compensation charge to SG&A, assume an expected long-term effective tax rate of 40% for both this year and last year periods, and add back a charge for on-going non-cash compensation expense for stock options of $0.6 million, before tax, to the second quarter of 2011, which equals the charge for on-going non-cash compensation expense in the second quarter of 2012.
- At the conclusion of this press release is a reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP results.
Tilly’s, Inc. (NYSE: TLYS) today announced financial results for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 ended July 28, 2012. For the thirteen weeks ended July 28, 2012: