- Portfolio management: Cabot completed its acquisition of Norit, the world’s leading producer of activated carbons. This will strengthen Cabot’s specialty chemicals portfolio with a non-cyclical, high growth and high margin business and will increase its capabilities in the sustainability space. It also places Cabot as a leading provider of purification solutions.
- Environmental performance: Cabot invested more than $35 million in fiscal year 2011 on environmentally-related capital projects to improve efficiency and maintain regulatory compliance. These projects helped to make progress on our goal of a 20% reduction in greenhouse gas emission intensity by 2020, using 2005 as a baseline.
- Training and development: Cabot launched several training programs to help improve leadership skills, provide guidance to our employees for conducting our business ethically and in compliance with the law, and establish a renewed set of corporate values.
- Employee safety: Cabot maintained one of the best safety records among global manufacturing organizations with a 2011 Total Recordable Incident Rate (which is the total number of incidents per 200,000 hours worked) of 0.31. We continue to invest in improving our process safety management by focusing on operational improvements and risk reduction.
- Sustainable development and innovation: Cabot created new product and process applications that are contributing to sustainability advances in several industries, including renewable energy, sustainable development and transportation. Cabot is focused on product innovation and process improvements that can reduce the impact on the environment.
- Community outreach: Over the past year, Cabot donated more than $1.9 million in direct and in-kind support to a wide-range of programs aimed to improve science and technology literacy, and enhance community health and human services.
- External recognitions: Cabot was recognized for its sustainability efforts by being included in the Calvert Social Index®, ranked a “leader” in the Maplecroft Climate Innovation Indexes (CII) Cycle 3, as well as named one of the 2012 100 Best Corporate Citizens by Corporate Responsibility ( CR) Magazine.
In addition to the Sustainability Update, Cabot will report its 2011 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) for the fourth consecutive year. The CDP promotes the disclosure of GHG emission data by the world's largest corporations to create the most comprehensive repository of GHG emissions data. The data are then made available to institutional investors, business leaders, policy makers, and the general public.About Cabot Corporation Cabot Corporation (NYSE: CBT) is a global specialty chemicals and performance materials company, headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. The company is the world’s No. 1 producer of rubber and specialty grade carbon black, activated carbons, inkjet colorants and cesium formate drilling fluids and has market-leading positions in fumed silica, aerogel, and elastomer composites. For more information on Cabot, please visit the company’s website is: http://www.cabotcorp.com Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Statements in the press release regarding Cabot’s business that are not historical facts are forward looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward looking statements, see “Risk Factors” in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K. Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50370632&lang=en