NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- First California Financial Group (Nasdaq: FCAL) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in net income, expanding profit margins, solid stock price performance and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 16.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.0%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry. The net income increased by 31.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $2.42 million to $3.19 million.
- The gross profit margin for FIRST CALIF FINL GROUP INC is currently very high, coming in at 87.20%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 13.80% trails the industry average.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 42.85% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 106.47% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- FIRST CALIF FINL GROUP INC has improved earnings per share by 42.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FIRST CALIF FINL GROUP INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.73 versus -$0.01 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 42.5% in earnings ($0.42 versus $0.73).
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff