NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Gordman's Stores (Nasdaq: GMAN) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, notable return on equity and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- GORDMANS STORES INC has improved earnings per share by 7.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, GORDMANS STORES INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.31 versus $0.49 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.51 versus $1.31).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Multiline Retail industry average. The net income increased by 10.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $7.28 million to $8.05 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Multiline Retail industry and the overall market, GORDMANS STORES INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- 47.80% is the gross profit margin for GORDMANS STORES INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 5.90% is above that of the industry average.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff