Jake's Irregular Expenses
Unless otherwise noted, the amount listed reflects just his share, even for things like auto insurance that will be joint going forward, since we haven't combined finances yet. For some categories - like auto expenses, gifts, and healthcare - I'm assuming his costs are about the same as mine until I have data suggesting otherwise. These are annual numbers.
- Auto insurance: $840. This is the annual total; he pays $420 every six months in January and July. Similarly, in my recent post when I said my auto insurance was $500, that was also the annual total. I pay about $250 every six months.
- Auto expenses (repair/maintenance): $250
- Auto registration: $250. Quite a bit more than mine, since his car is 8 years newer (and also much nicer).
- Gifts: $1000
- Health care (copays, etc): $500. Numerous people said my $1000/year estimate was high, and when I double-checked, I realized that I'd double-counted my massage costs in both the irregular expenses category and the recurring monthly category. This means my actual irregular medical expenses last year were closer to $230. However, I think it's best to estimate high in this category, and I know Jake has more prescriptions than I do.
- Vet expenses (pets): $2300. As noted in my previous breakdown, he would have paid half of this. All three of our pets had dentals last year, and one of the cats had an extraction while the other had some medical issues that had to be resolved before she could go under anesthesia. This category also includes grooming for the dog (a poodle), which runs about $50 per grooming.
- Mensa annual dues: $60
- Total: $4050