NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Abiomed (Nasdaq: ABMD) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and expanding profit margins. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 8.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 41.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- ABMD has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 5.21, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- ABIOMED INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, ABIOMED INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.03 versus -$0.32 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.26 versus $0.03).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry. The net income increased by 167.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$4.59 million to $3.12 million.
- The gross profit margin for ABIOMED INC is currently very high, coming in at 82.40%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, ABMD's net profit margin of 8.00% significantly trails the industry average.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff