- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 48.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$25.05 million to -$37.12 million.
- THERAVANCE INC's earnings per share declined by 35.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, THERAVANCE INC reported poor results of -$1.41 versus -$1.17 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.30 versus -$1.41).
- THRX, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 77.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.91, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels.
- When compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, THERAVANCE INC's return on equity has significantly outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff
TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model.