- Our earnings increased 63% from the second quarter of 2011, driven by the 50% growth in sales and our ongoing focus on continuous improvement in our operations.
- New product introductions were a significant component of our sales growth as new product sales represented $87.8 million or 38% of sales in the first half of 2012. New product introductions in the first half of 2012 included:
- Ruger American Rifle
- SR22 pistol
- 10/22 Take Down rifle
- 22/45 Lite pistol
- Demand for our products outpaced the growth in overall industry demand as measured by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) background checks (as adjusted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation) for both the second quarter and six months ended June 30, 2012 as illustrated below:
|Period ended June 30, 2012|
|Increase in estimated Ruger Units Sold from Distributors to Retailers||55||%||59||%|
|Increase in total adjusted NICS Background Checks (thousands)||18||%||21||%|
- Cash generated from operations during the six months ended June 30, 2012 was $37.5 million. At June 30, 2012, our cash, cash equivalents, and short-term investments totaled $96.0 million, an increase of $14.9 million from December 2011. Our current ratio is 3.3 to 1 and we have no debt.
- In the first half of 2012, capital expenditures totaled $12.3 million, much of it related to new products and the expansion of production capacity. We expect to invest approximately $20 million for capital expenditures during 2012.
- In the first half of 2012, the Company returned $10.3 million to its shareholders through the payment of dividends. An additional $7.2 million in dividends will be paid to shareholders on August 27, 2012.
- At June 30, 2012, stockholders’ equity was $162.7 million, which equates to a book value of $8.49 per share, of which $5.01 per share was cash and equivalents.