NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Websense (Nasdaq: WBSN) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
- WEBSENSE INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, WEBSENSE INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.78 versus $0.43 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.54 versus $0.78).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Software industry. The net income increased by 80.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $4.38 million to $7.92 million.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market, WEBSENSE INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $9.88 million or 7.92% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, WEBSENSE INC's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 17.85%.
- The gross profit margin for WEBSENSE INC is currently very high, coming in at 89.20%. Regardless of WBSN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, WBSN's net profit margin of 8.80% compares favorably to the industry average.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff