NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Eaton Vance Corporation (NYSE: EV) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, EATON VANCE CORP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 1101.64% to $56.57 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, EATON VANCE CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 223.99%.
- EATON VANCE CORP's earnings per share declined by 12.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, EATON VANCE CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.75 versus $1.41 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.88 versus $1.75).
- Despite the weak revenue results, EV has outperformed against the industry average of 19.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.4%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Despite the current debt-to-equity ratio of 1.91, it is still below the industry average, suggesting that this level of debt is acceptable within the Capital Markets industry.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff