NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- VCA Antech (Nasdaq: WOOF) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- WOOF's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 12.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Health Care Providers & Services industry average. The net income increased by 22.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $28.84 million to $35.25 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $73.66 million or 20.30% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 20.30%, VCA ANTECH INC is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 115.53%.
- In its most recent trading session, WOOF has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Health Care Providers & Services industry and the overall market, VCA ANTECH INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff