NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- CIFC (Nasdaq: DFR) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from sell to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally poor debt management, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- DFR's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 22.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 85.0%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The gross profit margin for CIFC CORP is currently very high, coming in at 90.20%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, DFR's net profit margin of 1.60% significantly trails the industry average.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, CIFC CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$32.71 million or 16252.50% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff