- Revenue was $50.0 million, a decrease of 14% from $58.5 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Net license revenue was $31.7 million, a decrease of 4% from $33.1 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Net license revenue for the prior-year quarter is net of $2.4 million in motion picture exhibitor stock option expense (a contra revenue item).
- Product and other revenue was $18.4 million, a decrease of 28% from $25.4 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011. These results reflect an $8.1 million decrease in international product revenue that is partially attributable to a growing number of international consumers reusing RealD eyewear purchased at a previous RealD showing.
- GAAP net income attributable to common stockholders was $5.5 million, or $0.10 per diluted share, compared to $4.5 million, or $0.08 per diluted share, for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011. Results for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 include an income tax benefit of $2.1 million, equivalent to approximately $0.04 per diluted share.
- Gross margin increased to 54% from 51% in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011.
- The Company’s balance sheet at March 23, 2012 included total cash and cash equivalents of $24.9 million and total debt of $25.0 million.
- Subsequent to the end of the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012, RealD entered into a new $125 million credit facility. As of May 31, 2012, unused borrowing capacity on the new credit facility was approximately $100 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $17.8 million, essentially flat compared to $17.8 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Adjusted EBITDA increased to 36% of net revenue from 30% of net revenue in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Adjusted EBITDA is defined within the section of this press release entitled “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures,” which includes a reconciliation to its most comparable GAAP measure, net income (loss).
- International markets generated 49% of license revenue compared to 64% of gross license revenue in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011. The lower percentage from international license revenue reflects the difficult international comparison versus the prior-year quarter when Tangled, Chronicles of Narnia, Tron Legacy, Megamind and Gulliver’s Travels had strong results overseas. In addition, certain films released in the domestic market during the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 were scheduled to release in key international countries after the end of the quarter.
- As of March 23, 2012, the Company had deployed approximately 20,200 RealD-enabled screens, an increase of 35% from approximately 15,000 screens as of March 25, 2011, and an increase of 500 screens, or 3%, from approximately 19,700 screens as of December 23, 2011.
- As of March 23, 2012, the Company had approximately 11,700 domestic screens at approximately 2,600 domestic theater locations and approximately 8,500 international screens at approximately 2,500 international theater locations.
- Subsequent to the end of the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012, the Company announced that its Board of Directors had authorized the repurchase of up to $50 million in RealD’s common stock.
- The authorization demonstrates management’s confidence in RealD’s future and its commitment to maximizing shareholder value.
- Revenue was $246.6 million, essentially flat compared to $246.1 million for fiscal 2011.
- Net license revenue was $147.8 million, an increase of 46% from $101.5 million for fiscal 2011.
- Net license revenue for fiscal 2011 is net of $36.4 million in motion picture exhibitor stock option expense (a contra revenue item).
- Product and other revenue was $98.8 million, a decrease of 32% from $144.6 million for fiscal 2011.
- GAAP net income attributable to common stockholders was $36.9 million, or $0.65 per diluted share, compared to a GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders of $12.3 million, or $0.29 per share, for fiscal 2011.
- Gross margin increased to 52% from 28% for fiscal 2011.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $104.4 million, an increase of 68% from $62.2 million for fiscal 2011.
- Adjusted EBITDA increased to 42% of net revenue from 25% of net revenue for fiscal 2011.
|3D Theatrical Release Schedule for Fiscal 2013|
|(As of May 31, 2012 – Domestic)|
|Fiscal Q1 2013||Film||Domestic Release Date|
|(ending 6/22/12)||Wrath of the Titans||3/30/2012|
|The Pirates! Band of Misfits||4/27/2012|
|Men in Black III||5/25/2012|
|Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted||6/8/2012|
|Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter||6/22/2012|
|Fiscal Q2 2013||Film||Domestic Release Date|
|(ending 9/21/12)||Amazing Spiderman||7/3/2012|
|Katy Perry: Part of Me 3D||7/5/2012|
|Ice Age: Continental Drift||7/13/2012|
|Step Up Revolution||7/27/2012|
|Nitro Circus: The Movie||8/10/2012|
|Resident Evil: Retribution||9/14/2012|
|Finding Nemo (re-release)||9/14/2012|
|Fiscal Q3 2013||Film||Domestic Release Date|
|Silent Hill: Revelation 3D||10/26/2012|
|Rise of the Guardians||11/21/2012|
|Life of Pi||11/21/2012|
|The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey||12/14/2012|
|Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away||12/21/2012|
|Fiscal Q4 2013||Film||Domestic Release Date|
|(ending 3/22/13)||The Great Gatsby||12/25/2012|
|The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D||1/4/2013|
|Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters||1/11/2013|
|Monsters, Inc. (re-release)||1/18/2013|
|Battle of the Year: The Dream Team||1/25/2013|
|Escape from Planet Earth||2/14/2013|
|Oz: The Great and Powerful||3/8/2013|
|Jack the Giant Killer||3/22/2013|
|Sources: Rentrak and imdb.com.|
The conference call will also be broadcast live over the Internet, hosted at the Investor Relations section of the Company’s website at www.reald.com. An archived replay of the call will be available via webcast at www.reald.com or by dialing 877-870-5176, or 858-384-5517 for international callers. The conference ID for the telephone replay is 4538808.Cautionary Note on Forward-Looking Statements This press release includes forward-looking information and statements, including but not limited to: statements concerning anticipated future financial and operating performance; RealD’s ability to continue to derive substantial revenue from the licensing of RealD’s 3D technologies for use in the motion picture industry, as well as RealD’s relationships with consumer electronics manufacturers and its ability to generate substantial revenue from the licensing of RealD’s 3D technologies for use in the 3D consumer electronics market; 3D motion picture releases and conversions scheduled for fiscal 2013 ending March 22, 2013, their commercial success and consumer preferences; our ability to increase the number of RealD-enabled screens in domestic and international markets and market share; our ability to supply our solutions to our customers on a timely basis; RealD’s relationships with its exhibitor and studio partners and the business model for 3D eyewear in North America; the progress, timing and amount of expenses associated with RealD’s research and development activities; market and industry trends, including growth in 3D content; RealD’s projected operating results; and competitive pressures in domestic and international markets. These statements are based on our management’s current expectations and beliefs, as well as a number of assumptions concerning future events. Such forward-looking statements are subject to known and unknown risks, uncertainties, assumptions and other important factors, many of which are outside our management’s control that could cause actual results to differ materially from the results discussed in the forward-looking statements. The Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the twelve months ended March 23, 2012 and other documents filed with the SEC include a more detailed discussion of the risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially from the results discussed in the forward-looking statements.
RealD undertakes no obligation to update publicly the information contained in this press release, or any forward-looking statements, to reflect new information, events or circumstances after the date they were made, or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures To supplement RealD’s financial statements presented on a GAAP basis, RealD provides Adjusted EBITDA as a supplemental measure of its performance. The Company defines Adjusted EBITDA as net income (loss), plus net interest expense, income and other taxes, and depreciation and amortization, as further adjusted to eliminate the impact of share based compensation expense, exhibitor option expense and certain other items not considered by RealD management to be indicative of the company’s core operating performance. RealD presents Adjusted EBITDA in reporting its financial results to provide investors with additional tools to evaluate RealD’s operating results in a manner that focuses on what RealD’s management believes to be its ongoing business operations. RealD’s management does not itself, nor does it suggest that investors should, consider any such Non-GAAP financial measures in isolation from, or as a substitute for, financial information prepared in accordance with GAAP. Adjusted EBITDA is used by management for planning purposes, including: the preparation of internal budgets, forecasts and strategic plans; in analyzing the effectiveness of business strategies; to evaluate potential acquisitions; in making compensation decisions; and in communications with its Board of Directors concerning financial performance. Because not all companies use identical calculations, the Company’s presentation of Adjusted EBITDA may not be comparable to similarly titled measures of other companies. Adjusted EBITDA is not intended to be a measure of free cash flow for management’s discretionary use, as it does not consider certain cash requirements such as tax and debt service payments. Adjusted EBITDA also differs from the amounts calculated under the similarly titled definition in our credit agreement, which is further adjusted to reflect certain other cash and non-cash charges and is used to determine compliance with financial covenants and our ability to engage in certain activities, such as incurring additional debt and making certain restricted payments.
About RealD Inc.RealD is a leading global licensor of 3D technologies. RealD’s extensive intellectual property portfolio is used in applications that enable a premium 3D viewing experience in the theater, the home and elsewhere. RealD licenses its RealD Cinema Systems to motion picture exhibitors that show 3D motion pictures and alternative 3D content. RealD also provides its RealD Display, active and passive eyewear, and RealD Format technologies to consumer electronics manufacturers and content producers and distributors to enable the delivery and viewing of 3D content. RealD’s cutting-edge technologies have been used for applications such as piloting the Mars Rover. RealD was founded in 2003 and has offices in Beverly Hills, California; Boulder, Colorado; London, United Kingdom; Shanghai, China; Hong Kong; and Tokyo, Japan. For more information, please visit our website at www.reald.com. © 2012 RealD Inc. All Rights Reserved.
|Consolidated Statements of Operations|
|(In thousands, except per share amounts)|
|Three months ended||Year ended|
|March 23,||March 25,||March 23,||March 25,|
|Product and other||18,392||25,381||98,827||144,613|
|Cost of revenue:|
|Product and other||13,672||22,303||78,137||160,402|
|Total cost of revenue||23,152||28,637||117,938||178,396|
|Research and development||3,764||4,831||16,500||15,582|
|Selling and marketing||7,423||8,888||27,682||24,139|
|General and administrative||12,454||10,640||42,189||35,835|
|Total operating expenses||23,641||24,359||86,371||75,556|
|Operating income (loss)||3,254||5,518||42,319||(7,816||)|
|Other income (loss)||625||(194||)||782||6,182|
|Income (loss) before income taxes||3,618||5,278||42,130||(2,553||)|
|Income tax expense (benefit)||(2,065||)||973||5,105||4,272|
|Net income (loss)||5,683||4,305||37,025||(6,825||)|
|Net (income) loss attributable to noncontrolling interest||(147||)||162||(156||)||(530||)|
|Accretion of preferred stock||-||-||-||(4,934||)|
|Net income (loss) attributable to RealD Inc. common stockholders||$||5,536||$||4,467||$||36,869||$||(12,289||)|
|Earnings (loss) per common share:|
|Shares used in computing earnings per common share:|
|Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|March 23,||March 25,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||24,894||$||16,936|
|Accounts receivable, net||59,212||50,676|
|Deferred costs – eyewear||932||49|
|Deferred income taxes||–||1,029|
|Income taxes receivable||–||139|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||2,630||1,734|
|Total current assets||128,245||125,534|
|Property and equipment, net||12,713||7,889|
|Cinema systems, net||141,024||122,226|
|Digital projectors, net-held for sale||1,078||10,475|
|Other intangibles, net||1,746||1,918|
|Deferred income taxes||3,049||–|
|Liabilities and equity|
|Accrued expenses and other liabilities||28,870||40,118|
|Income taxes payable||1,121||–|
|Deferred income taxes||3,149||–|
|Current portion of long-term debt||–||2,291|
|Total current liabilities||62,958||115,298|
|Credit facility agreement||25,000||–|
|Deferred revenue, net of current portion||13,920||14,106|
|Other long-term liabilities, customer deposits and virtual print fee liability||2,691||4,533|
|Long-term debt, net of current portion||–||19|
|Deferred tax liability||–||1,091|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Total RealD Inc. stockholders’ equity||197,183||143,324|
|Total liabilities and equity||$||302,175||$||280,147|
|Schedule of Non-GAAP Reconciliations|
|Reconciliation of Net Income (Loss) to Adjusted EBITDA|
|Three months ended||Year ended|
|March 23,||March 25,||March 23,||March 25,|
|Net income (loss)||$||5,683||$||4,305||$||37,025||$||(6,825||)|
|Income tax expense||(2,065||)||973||5,105||4,272|
|Depreciation and amortization||7,708||5,309||28,266||15,737|
|Other (income) loss (1)||(625||)||194||(782||)||(6,182||)|
|Share-based compensation expense (2)||4,026||2,962||15,744||8,950|
|Exhibitor option expense (3)||-||2,439||-||36,447|
|Impairment of assets and intangibles (4)||1,245||314||10,269||1,128|
|Sales and use tax (5)||1,287||1,041||6,363||6,484|
|Property tax (6)||301||251||1,434||1,090|
|Management fee (7)||-||-||-||175|
(2) Represents share-based compensation expense of nonstatutory and incentive stock options and restricted stock units to employees, officers and directors.(3) Represents stock options granted to some of our motion picture exhibitor licensees. The amounts are recorded as motion picture exhibitor option expense/contra revenue in the consolidated financial statements. (4) Represents impairment of long-lived assets, such as fixed assets, theatrical equipment and identifiable intangibles. (5) Represents taxes incurred by us for cinema license and product revenue. (6) Represents property taxes on RealD Cinema Systems and digital projectors. (7) Represents payment of management fees to our Series C mandatorily redeemable convertible preferred stockholder (included in general and administrative expense, which was terminated upon the completion of our initial public offering).