PMC® (NASDAQ:PMCS), the semiconductor innovator transforming storage, optical and mobile networks, today extended its leadership in optical transport with a second-generation HyPHY OTN processor family that enables Metro OTN. With PMC’s HyPHY 20Gflex and HyPHY 10Gflex, Metro OTN doubles packet efficiency and delivers the multiservice capabilities and scalability required for metro transport networks worldwide to cope with explosive growth in packet traffic. Service providers can now reduce OPEX with an unprecedented level of network resource optimization and management for Ethernet, SAN, and Video services. The HyPHY Flex devices provide OEMs with the lowest cost of development by enabling them to leverage a single device for both OTN-switched and DWDM lambda-switched optical transport equipment. HyPHY 20Gflex Enables Metro OTN to Packet Optimize Metro Optical Networks Ethernet is becoming the access currency of choice and is increasingly used for mobile backhaul, enterprise leased line and broadband aggregation equipment. At the same time, Video and SAN client services are in growing demand, while TDM still represents an important revenue-generating service. Anchored on ODU0 and ODUflex, Metro OTN now offers the fine-grain, variable-size, switchable containers required to achieve optimal network infrastructure efficiency for transporting GE, sub-rate 10GE, SAN and Video services. The HyPHY Flex devices are ODU0-channelized Metro OTN processors that support the newly approved OIF-compliant OTN-over-Packet Fabric system interface, which is critical for enabling platforms to implement scalable OTN switching architectures. The HyPHY Flex solutions are the industry’s only OTN processors to provide true Any-Port, Any-Rate, and Any-Service flexibility and to fully integrate both the packet mapping and packet timing functions necessary for Carrier Ethernet transport. “Metro transport networks are quickly evolving towards scalable OTN architectures in order to handle the growth in packet services,” said Mr. Zhang Chengliang, deputy chief engineer, Beijing Research Institute, China Telecom. “Network operators need multiservice Metro OTN equipment that can address the wide range of OTN-switched and Lambda-switched network deployments that are ongoing globally.”
“With commitment to mass deployment of OTN-switched networks in critical geographies like China, it’s evident that OTN solves the industry’s need to profitably build out scalable metro transport networks,” said Babak Samimi, vice president of marketing and applications for PMC’s Communications Products Division. “With our purpose-built HyPHY Flex ASSPs, PMC is enabling our customers to consolidate their line cards and bring a new class of OTN products to market that is optimized for transporting a multitude of packet services at the lowest total cost of ownership.”Industry-Leading Innovations for OTN Switching Platforms and ROADMs Based on a set of client-agnostic and rate-agile SERDES for both Small Form Factor Pluggable (SFP) and 10 Gigabit Pluggable (XFP/SFP+) optics, the PM5450 HyPHY 20Gflex delivers the industry’s highest density with 16xSFP and 2x10G XFP/SFP+ interfaces along with Any-Port, Any-Rate, and Any-Service flexibility for the transport of Carrier Ethernet, IP/MPLS, SONET/SDH, SAN, and Video over an OTN infrastructure. A PM5456 HyPHY 10Gflex version is also available for lower-density applications. Both platforms offer the following innovations:
- True Any-Port, Any-Rate and Any-Service flexibility: Independent, rate-agile SERDES with integrated PLLs allows operation from a single reference, eliminating external timing components and significantly reducing cost, power and footprint.
- Carrier Ethernet transport: Transparent, semi-transparent and MAC-terminated transport of Ethernet, with onboard FE/GE and 10GE PCS/MACs, including support for Timing over Packet (IEEE 1588v2), Synchronous Ethernet (SyncE), and Ethernet Link OAM (IEEE 802.3ah).
- Field-proven interoperability with OIF OTN-over-packet-fabric standard: PMC’s OTN Phase Signaling Algorithm (OPSA™) and Constant Bit Rate Interface (CBRI™) technology provide an OIF-compliant and glueless interface to off-the-shelf or proprietary fabrics for fine-grain OTN switching.
- Integrated ODU0/ODUflex-granular framing, mapping, and switching: Up to 40G of OTN framing and 100G of OTN switching in a single chip, with the industry’s first on-board support for PTP (IEEE 1588v2) over OTN.
- Single-chip for DWDM muxponder and transponder, as well as OTN switching modes of operation.
- Comprehensive support for OTN fault restoration, resiliency and protection switching: Integration of supplementary OTN framers, monitoring and alarm insertion points to enable flexible protection switching schemes, such as Sub-Network Connection Protection (SNCP) for point-to-point, ring or mesh topologies.
- Flexible Interlaken and XAUI packet interface: Enables glueless interface to off-the-shelf network processors and Ethernet switches for implementation of hybrid multiservice OTN and Carrier Ethernet cards.
|Figure 1:||OTN Opportunity in the Metro|
|Figure 2:||A New Kind of OTN for the Metro|
|Figure 3:||Compact Metro Access Application|
|Figure 4:||OTN/Packet-Switched (P-OTP, PE-OTN) Application|
|Figure 5:||Lambda-Switched (Transponders and Muxponders) Application|