“With commitment to mass deployment of OTN-switched networks in critical geographies like China, it’s evident that OTN solves the industry’s need to profitably build out scalable metro transport networks,” said Babak Samimi, vice president of marketing and applications for PMC’s Communications Products Division. “With our purpose-built HyPHY Flex ASSPs, PMC is enabling our customers to consolidate their line cards and bring a new class of OTN products to market that is optimized for transporting a multitude of packet services at the lowest total cost of ownership.”Industry-Leading Innovations for OTN Switching Platforms and ROADMs Based on a set of client-agnostic and rate-agile SERDES for both Small Form Factor Pluggable (SFP) and 10 Gigabit Pluggable (XFP/SFP+) optics, the PM5450 HyPHY 20Gflex delivers the industry’s highest density with 16xSFP and 2x10G XFP/SFP+ interfaces along with Any-Port, Any-Rate, and Any-Service flexibility for the transport of Carrier Ethernet, IP/MPLS, SONET/SDH, SAN, and Video over an OTN infrastructure. A PM5456 HyPHY 10Gflex version is also available for lower-density applications. Both platforms offer the following innovations:
- True Any-Port, Any-Rate and Any-Service flexibility: Independent, rate-agile SERDES with integrated PLLs allows operation from a single reference, eliminating external timing components and significantly reducing cost, power and footprint.
- Carrier Ethernet transport: Transparent, semi-transparent and MAC-terminated transport of Ethernet, with onboard FE/GE and 10GE PCS/MACs, including support for Timing over Packet (IEEE 1588v2), Synchronous Ethernet (SyncE), and Ethernet Link OAM (IEEE 802.3ah).
- Field-proven interoperability with OIF OTN-over-packet-fabric standard: PMC’s OTN Phase Signaling Algorithm (OPSA™) and Constant Bit Rate Interface (CBRI™) technology provide an OIF-compliant and glueless interface to off-the-shelf or proprietary fabrics for fine-grain OTN switching.
- Integrated ODU0/ODUflex-granular framing, mapping, and switching: Up to 40G of OTN framing and 100G of OTN switching in a single chip, with the industry’s first on-board support for PTP (IEEE 1588v2) over OTN.
- Single-chip for DWDM muxponder and transponder, as well as OTN switching modes of operation.
- Comprehensive support for OTN fault restoration, resiliency and protection switching: Integration of supplementary OTN framers, monitoring and alarm insertion points to enable flexible protection switching schemes, such as Sub-Network Connection Protection (SNCP) for point-to-point, ring or mesh topologies.
- Flexible Interlaken and XAUI packet interface: Enables glueless interface to off-the-shelf network processors and Ethernet switches for implementation of hybrid multiservice OTN and Carrier Ethernet cards.
|Figure 1:||OTN Opportunity in the Metro|
|Figure 2:||A New Kind of OTN for the Metro|
|Figure 3:||Compact Metro Access Application|
|Figure 4:||OTN/Packet-Switched (P-OTP, PE-OTN) Application|
|Figure 5:||Lambda-Switched (Transponders and Muxponders) Application|