UBS Investment Bank today announced that the ETRACS Alerian MLP Infrastructure ETN (Ticker: MLPI ) is the top performing exchange-traded product linked to the Alerian MLP Infrastructure Index (Ticker: AMZI) for 2012 year to date. Both MLPI and the Alerian MLP ETF (Ticker: AMLP) are designed to deliver the performance of the Alerian MLP Infrastructure Index (the “Index”), minus fees. The table below summarizes their performance year-to-date and since the first day that both products could be purchased on an exchange:
Source: Bloomberg, 04/30/2012 *August 25, 2010 was the first day that both products could be purchased on an exchange. MLPI first day of trading: 04/01/2010 AMLP first day of trading: 8/25/2010 About the Index The Index is a liquid, midstream-focused subset of the Alerian MLP Index comprised of 25 energy infrastructure MLPs. The Index, whose constituents generally earn the majority of their cash flow from the transportation and storage of energy commodities, provides investors with a benchmark for the infrastructure component of this emerging asset class. The Index is calculated using a capped, float-adjusted, capitalization-weighted methodology that results in greater diversification versus a pure market capitalization-weighted index. MLPI offers:
|Total Return||Total Return Since|
- Exposure to a portfolio of 25 energy infrastructure MLPs through a single, exchange-traded security
- Income via quarterly coupons linked to cash distributions, if any, paid by the MLPs in the Index, less fees 1
- No K-1s: the coupons associated with the ETN are reported as ordinary income on Form 1099, and therefore the administrative burden associated with K-1 forms is eliminated 2.
- Access to asset classes with historically low correlations to more traditional asset classes
- Convenience of an exchange-traded security
- Transparent exposure to a published index
Intended for recipient only and not for further distribution without the consent of UBS.Notes to Editors UBS draws on its 150-year heritage to serve private, institutional and corporate clients worldwide, as well as retail clients in Switzerland. We combine our wealth management, investment banking and asset management businesses with our Swiss operations to deliver superior financial solutions. UBS is present in all major financial centers worldwide. It has offices in over 50 countries, with about 37% of its employees working in the Americas, 37% in Switzerland, 16% in the rest of Europe and 10% in Asia Pacific. UBS employs about 65,000 people around the world. Its shares are listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).