- In March 2012, GOV entered into an agreement to acquire two office properties located in Everett, WA with 111,908 rentable square feet. These properties are 100% leased to the State of Washington and occupied by the Department of Social and Health Services. The contract purchase price is $20.9 million, excluding acquisition costs.
- Also in March 2012, GOV entered into an agreement to acquire an office property located in Stockton, CA with 22,012 rentable square feet. This property is 100% leased to the U.S. Government and occupied by the Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The contract purchase price is $8.2 million, excluding acquisition costs.
- In April 2012, GOV entered into an agreement to acquire an office property located in Albany, NY with 64,000 rentable square feet. This property is 100% leased to the State of New York and occupied by the Department of Agriculture. The contract purchase price is $8.5 million, excluding acquisition costs.
- Also in April 2012, GOV entered into an agreement to acquire an office property located in Madison, WI with 56,889 rentable square feet. This property is 100% leased to the State of Wisconsin and occupied by the Department of Administration. The contract purchase price is $23.9 million, including the assumption of $19.2 million of mortgage debt and excluding acquisition costs.
Recent Financing Activities:In January 2012, GOV entered into a five year $350 million unsecured term loan. The loan matures on January 11, 2017, and is prepayable without penalty at any time. The term loan bears interest payable at LIBOR plus 175 basis points, subject to adjustment based on changes to GOV's senior unsecured debt ratings. GOV used the net proceeds of the term loan to repay amounts outstanding under its revolving credit facility and to fund general business activities. Conference Call: On Tuesday, May 1, 2012, at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time, David Blackman, President and Chief Operating Officer, and Mark Kleifges, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer, will host a conference call to discuss the first quarter 2012 results. The conference call telephone number is (800) 230-1074. Participants calling from outside the United States and Canada should dial (612) 288-0329. No pass code is necessary to access the call from either number. Participants should dial in about 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start of the call. A replay of the conference call will be available through 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on May 8, 2012. To hear the replay, dial (320) 365-3844. The replay pass code is 242633. A live audio webcast of the conference call will also be available in a listen only mode on GOV’s website, which is located at www.govreit.com. Participants wanting to access the webcast should visit GOV’s website about five minutes before the call. The archived webcast will be available for replay on GOV’s website for about one week after the call. The recording and retransmission in any way of GOV’s first quarter conference call is strictly prohibited without the prior written consent of GOV. Supplemental Data: A copy of GOV’s First Quarter 2012 Supplemental Operating and Financial Data is available for download at GOV’s website, www.govreit.com. GOV’s website is not incorporated as part of this press release.
Government Properties Income Trust is a real estate investment trust, or REIT, which owns properties located throughout the United States which are majority leased to the U.S. Government and other government tenants. As of March 31, 2012, GOV owned 71 properties with approximately 8.9 million rentable square feet. GOV is headquartered in Newton, Massachusetts.Please see the following pages for a more detailed statement of GOV’s operating results and financial condition and for an explanation of our calculation of FFO and Normalized FFO.
|GOVERNMENT PROPERTIES INCOME TRUST|
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF INCOME, FUNDS FROM OPERATIONS AND|
|NORMALIZED FUNDS FROM OPERATIONS|
|(amounts in thousands, except per share data)|
|Three Months Ended March 31,|
|Real estate taxes||5,533||4,457|
|Other operating expenses||8,853||6,921|
|Depreciation and amortization||12,072||8,386|
|Acquisition related costs||49||829|
|General and administrative||3,039||2,343|
|Interest and other income||8||15|
|Interest expense (including net amortization of debt premiums and deferred financing fees of $324 and $259, respectively)||(4,023||)||(2,537||)|
|Equity in earnings of an investee||45||37|
|Income before income tax expense||13,104||10,300|
|Income tax expense||(45||)||(46||)|
|Calculation of Funds from Operations (FFO) and Normalized FFO (1)|
|Plus: depreciation and amortization||12,072||8,386|
|Plus: acquisition related costs||49||829|
|Weighted average common shares outstanding||47,052||40,501|
|Per common share|
|GOVERNMENT PROPERTIES INCOME TRUST|
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS|
|(amounts in thousands, except share data)|
|March 31,||December 31,|
|Real estate properties:|
|Buildings and improvements||1,130,610||1,129,994|
|Acquired real estate leases, net||112,178||117,596|
|Cash and cash equivalents||9,275||3,272|
|Rents receivable, net||26,472||29,000|
|Deferred leasing costs, net||3,073||3,074|
|Deferred financing costs, net||7,075||5,550|
|Other assets, net||11,882||10,297|
|LIABILITIES AND SHAREHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Unsecured revolving credit facility||$||-||$||345,500|
|Unsecured term loan||350,000||-|
|Mortgage notes payable||94,826||95,383|
|Accounts payable and accrued expenses||18,438||20,691|
|Due to related persons||3,596||4,071|
|Assumed real estate lease obligations, net||10,482||11,262|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Common shares of beneficial interest, $.01 par value:|
|70,000,000 shares authorized, 47,090,791 and 47,051,650 shares issued and outstanding, respectively||471||471|
|Additional paid in capital||936,379||935,438|
|Cumulative net income||100,392||87,333|
|Cumulative other comprehensive income||76||77|
|Cumulative common distributions||(151,413||)||(131,651||)|
|Total shareholders' equity||885,905||891,668|
|Total liabilities and shareholders' equity||$||1,363,247||$||1,368,575|
- THIS PRESS RELEASE DISCUSSES THE INTEREST TO BE PAID ON AMOUNTS OUTSTANDING UNDER OUR TERM LOAN. HOWEVER, ACTUAL ANNUAL COSTS UNDER OUR TERM LOAN WILL BE HIGHER THAN LIBOR PLUS A PREMIUM BECAUSE OF OTHER FEES AND EXPENSES ASSOCIATED WITH OUR TERM LOAN.
- THIS PRESS RELEASE STATES THAT WE HAVE ENTERED AGREEMENTS TO PURCHASE PROPERTIES. THESE TRANSACTIONS ARE SUBJECT TO VARIOUS TERMS AND CONDITIONS TYPICAL OF COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE TRANSACTIONS. THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS MAY NOT BE MET. AS A RESULT, SOME OR ALL OF THESE TRANSACTIONS MAY NOT OCCUR OR MAY BE DELAYED.
YOU SHOULD NOT PLACE UNDUE RELIANCE UPON OUR FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS.EXCEPT AS REQUIRED BY LAW, WE DO NOT INTEND TO UPDATE OR CHANGE ANY FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS AS A RESULT OF NEW INFORMATION, FUTURE EVENTS OR OTHERWISE.