- A2A and beta-2 adrenergic receptor agonists were shown to be highly synergistic and selective agents providing enhanced glucocorticoid activity in B-cell malignancies.
- Analysis of agonists in combination with dexamethasone or melphalan in 83 cell lines revealed substantial activity in MM and diffuse large B cell lymphoma cell lines.
- In some of the multiple myeloma (MM) cell line models, A2A and beta-2 adrenergic receptor agonists synergized with melphalan, lenalidomide, bortezomib and doxorubicin.
- Combination effects were also observed with dexamethasone as well as bortezomib, using MM patient samples and mouse MM xenograft assays.
- Results support development of A2A and beta-2 adrenergic receptor agonists for use in multi-drug combination therapy for MM.
- Systematic combination screening for the discovery and evaluation of new targets and combination therapies has the potential to improve cancer treatment paradigms and patient outcomes.
To learn more about Zalicus, please visit www.zalicus.com.Forward-Looking Statement: This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 concerning Zalicus, its combination drug discovery technology, cHTS, and its other business plans. These forward-looking statements about future expectations, plans, objectives and prospects of Zalicus may be identified by words like "believe," "expect," "may," "will," "should," "seek," “plan” or “could” and similar expressions and involve significant risks, uncertainties and assumptions, including risks related to the unproven nature of the Zalicus drug discovery technologies, the Company's ability to obtain additional financing or funding for its research and development and those other risks that can be found in the "Risk Factors" section of Zalicus' annual report on Form 10-K on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission and the other reports that Zalicus periodically files with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Actual results may differ materially from those Zalicus contemplated by these forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements reflect management’s current views and Zalicus does not undertake to update any of these forward-looking statements to reflect a change in its views or events or circumstances that occur after the date of this release except as required by law. (c) 2012 Zalicus Inc. All rights reserved.