NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Avon Products ( AVP) and Textron ( TXT) were among the best performers in the S&P 500 on Monday. The S&P 500 rose 10.43 points, or 0.74%, to 1,418.90.
Shares of Avon rose 17.25% Monday to $22.70. Beauty firm Coty put in a non-binding bid to purchase Avon for about $10 billion, or $23.25 a share. The offer is a 27% premium over the three-month, volume-weighted average price of Avon, Coty said. Avon rejected the bid. "Coty's indication of interest is non-binding and, by its own terms, subject to numerous conditions such as financing, due diligence and the negotiation of a definitive agreement," Avon said in a statement. "Coty's letter to Avon dated March 30 alludes to the possibility that, following diligence, Coty reserves the right to raise or lower its price to acquire Avon. In the final analysis, Coty is attempting to obtain a 'free look' at Avon in the absence of any commitment whatsoever to close a transaction at any price." The stock gapped up Monday morning to $23.16 from its closing price Friday of $19.36. Avon shares trade at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 13.45X; the average for personal products companies is 15.87X. For comparison, Kimberly-Clark ( KMB) and Colgate-Palmolive ( CL) both have higher forward P/Es of 13.56X and 16.69X. Twelve of the 16 analysts who cover Avon rate it at hold; four analysts give the stock a buy rating. TheStreet Ratings gives Avon a C grade and hold rating. The stock has risen 39.94% year to date.
Other top-performing S&P 500 stocks on Monday included:
- Tripadvisor (TRIP): The stock increased 4.77% Monday to $37.37. The stock has risen 48.23% year to date.
- Hartford Financial Services Group (HIG): The stock rose 4.13% Monday to $21.95. The stock has increased 35.08% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Hartford Financial Services Group a B- grade with a buy rating and $35.08 price target.
- Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF): The stock increased 4.05% Monday to $51.62. The stock has risen 5.69% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Abercrombie & Fitch a C+ grade and hold rating.
- Denbury Resources (DNR): The stock rose 3.68% Monday to $18.90. The stock has risen 25.17% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Denbury Resources a B grade with a buy rating and $21.01 price target.
- QEP Resources (QEP): The stock increased 3.44% Monday to $31.55. The stock has risen 7.68% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives QEP Resources a C grade and hold rating.
- Apple (AAPL): The stock rose 3.18% Monday to $618.63. The stock has increased 52.75% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Apple an A+ grade with a buy rating and $792.18 price target.
- U.S. Steel (X): The stock increased 3.03% Monday to $30.26. The stock has risen 14.36% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives U.S. Steel a D+ grade and sell rating.
- Western Union (WU): The stock rose 3.01% to $18.13. The stock has ticked down 13 cents, or 0.71% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Western Union a B grade with a buy rating and $20.64 price target.