XO Group Inc. (NYSE: XOXO; www.xogroupinc.com), a global media and technology leader and creator of the top two wedding websites, TheKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com, today released the results of its annual Real Weddings Survey, which surveyed nearly 18,000 US couples married in 2011. TheKnot.com & WeddingChannel.com 2011 Real Weddings Survey captures detailed information on wedding budget, style preferences, event characteristics and other key information related to the bridal demographic. “For the first time since 2008, wedding budgets are on the rise,” said Carley Roney, cofounder of The Knot. “In 2011, one in five US couples spent more than $30,000, and 11% spent more than $40,000 on their weddings. Our research shows that couples and their families are less concerned with the economy and are increasingly comfortable investing more in the once-in-a-lifetime occasion of their wedding.” 2011 Wedding Statistics
- Average Wedding Budget: $27,021 (excludes honeymoon)
- Most Expensive Place to Get Married: Manhattan, $65,824 average spend
- Least Expensive Place to Get Married: West Virginia, $14,203 average spend
- Average Spent on a Wedding Dress: $1,121
- Average Marrying Age: Bride, 29; Groom, 30
- Average Number of Guests: 141
- Average Number of Bridesmaids: 4-5
- Average Number of Groomsmen: 4-5
- Most Popular Month to Get Engaged: December (16%)
- Average Length of Engagement: 14 months
- Most Popular Month to Get Married: September (15%)
- Popular Wedding Colors: Blue (30%), Purple (25%), Green (24%)
- Percentage of Destination Weddings: 24%
|Category||2011 National Average Spend||2010 National Average Spend|
|Overall Wedding (excluding honeymoon)||$27,021||$26,984|
|Wedding Venue (reception hall)||$12,116||$12,124|
1. NYC (Manhattan): $65,8242. Chicago, IL: $53,069 3. NY Metro (Long Island, Hudson Valley and NYC Outer Boroughs): $50,087, $46,560, $40,356 4. Northern/Central NJ and Southern NJ: $46,600, $38,103 5. Rhode Island: $41,307 6. Santa Barbara/Ventura, CA, and Los Angeles, CA: $37,823, $37,690 7. Philadelphia, PA: $37,014 8. Boston, MA: $35,560 9. Southern Florida (Miami, Fort Lauderdale and surrounding areas): $34,465 10. Washington, DC, Northern Virginia and Suburban Maryland: $34,203 11. Connecticut: $33,789 12. Baltimore, MD: $32,702 13. Northern, CA, San Diego, CA, and Orange County/Inland Empire, CA: $32,261, $30,482, $29,826 14. Hawaii: $31,461 15. Pittsburgh, PA: $29,703 16. Louisiana: $28,790 *New to Top 20 List in 2011 17. Dallas, TX, Houston, TX, and Austin/San Antonio, TX: $28,717, $27,459, $27,735 18. California/Nevada (Sacramento, Tahoe and Reno): $28,028 19. Lehigh Valley/Poconos, PA: $27,339 *New to Top 20 List in 2011 20. Detroit, MI: $27,017 *New to Top 20 List in 2011 Interesting Regional Differences TheKnot.com & WeddingChannel.com 2011 Real Weddings Survey can be broken down on a region-by-region basis across more than 80 markets. Regional highlights include:
- Budget: New York City (Manhattan) has the highest average wedding budget ($65,824), and West Virginia has the lowest average wedding budget ($14,203), excluding honeymoon only.
- Age: Hawaii has the oldest brides (31 years), whereas Utah has the youngest brides (26 years), on average.
- Engagements: Mid-Atlantic brides (New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania) have the longest engagements (16 months), while brides from Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and Mississippi have the shortest (12 months), on average.
- Wedding Size: On average, Iowa brides still have the largest number of wedding guests (215), and Hawaii and Nevada still have the smallest number of wedding guests (77 and 63, respectively).
- Wedding Style: Hawaii has the most casual weddings (48%), while Long Island, NY, has the most formal (black-tie) weddings (37%).
- Wedding Dress Spend: Brides in Manhattan spend the most on their dresses ($2,403), while North and South Dakotan brides spend the least ($745).
- Registry: Brides in Central Illinois, are the most likely to register for wedding gifts (98%).
- Were 18 or older
- Had a wedding in 2011
About XO Group Inc.XO Group Inc. (NYSE: XOXO; http://www.xogroupinc.com), formerly The Knot Inc., is a global media and technology leader devoted to weddings, pregnancy and everything in between, providing young women with the trusted information, products and advice they need to guide them through the most transformative events of their lives. Our family of premium brands began with the #1 wedding brand, The Knot, and has grown to include WeddingChannel.com, The Nest, The Bump and Ijie.com. XO Group is recognized by the industry for being innovative in all media – from the web to social media and mobile, magazines and books, and video – and our groundbreaking social platforms have ignited passionate communities across the world. XO Group has leveraged its customer loyalty into successful businesses in online sponsorship and advertising, registry services, ecommerce and publishing. The company is publicly listed on the New York Stock Exchange (XOXO) and is headquartered in New York City. Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50212100&lang=en