LIN TV Corp. (“LIN Media”; NYSE: TVL), a local multimedia company, today reported results for its fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2011. 1 Summary of Results for the Fourth Quarter Ended December 31, 2011
- Net revenues decreased by 8% to $111.5 million, compared to $121.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2010. Excluding net political advertising, revenues increased 11% to $108.5 million, compared to $97.9 million for the same quarter in 2010.
- Local revenues, which include net local advertising revenues, retransmission consent fees and TV station web site revenues, increased 12% to $69.8 million, compared to $62.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2010.
- Net national revenues decreased by 2% to $26.1 million, compared to $26.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2010.
- Net political revenues were $3.0 million, compared to $23.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2010.
- Interactive revenues, which includes revenues from RMM, the Company’s online advertising and media services business, and Nami Media, the Company’s digital advertising management and technology company, increased by 54% to $8.4 million, compared to $5.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2010.
- Operating income decreased by 32% to $29.8 million, compared to operating income of $43.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2010.
- Net income per diluted share was $0.76, which includes special items of $0.63 per share, as further described below, compared to net income per diluted share of $0.38 in the fourth quarter of 2010.
- Net revenues decreased by 2% to $400.0 million, compared to $408.2 million in 2010. Excluding net political advertising, revenues increased 7% to $391.9 million, compared to $366.6 million in 2010.
- Local revenues increased by 7% to $255.5 million, compared to $237.7 million in 2010.
- Net national revenues decreased by 3% to $95.7 million, compared to $98.9 million in 2010.
- Net political revenues were $8.1 million, compared to $41.6 million in 2010.
- Interactive revenues increased by 66% to $27.2 million, compared to $16.4 million in 2010.
- Operating income decreased by 20% to $89.1 million, compared to operating income of $111.8 million in 2010.
- Net income per diluted share was $0.85, which includes special items of $0.58 per share, as further described below, compared to net income per diluted share of $0.66 in 2010.
Special ItemsDuring the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2011, the Company reversed $36.1 million of Federal and state valuation allowances related to its deferred tax assets, primarily due to the Company’s recent history of taxable income, and its projected ability to generate sufficient taxable income prior to the expiration of certain net operating loss carryforwards. Also, during the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2011, the Company accrued $0.6 million, or $0.4 million after-tax, and $4.7 million, or $3.1 million after-tax, respectively, for its share of probable and estimable funding of debt service shortfalls at its joint venture with NBCUniversal. The Company believes that additional debt service shortfalls beyond those currently accrued are not probable.
|Three Months Ended||Year Ended|
|December 31, 2011||December 31, 2011|
|Income before(benefit from)provision forincome taxes||Income fromcontinuingoperations||Income before(benefit from)provision forincome taxes||Income fromcontinuingoperations|
|Reversal of valuation allowances||$||-||$||36||.1||$||-||$||36||.1|
|NBC JV shortfall funding accrual||(0||.6)||(0||.4)||(4||.7)||(3||.1)|
- During the year ended December 31, 2011, the Company ranked number one or number two in 83% of its ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC news stations in its local markets based on viewership among key demographics.2
- Core local and national advertising sales combined, which exclude political advertising sales, increased by 4% in the fourth quarter and were up 1% for the full year compared to 2010.
- Five of the top ten advertising categories increased in the fourth quarter of 2011, compared to the fourth quarter of 2010. Six of the top ten advertising categories increased during the year ended December 31, 2011, compared to the prior year.
- The automotive category, which represented 25% of local and national advertising sales in the fourth quarter of 2011, increased by 12% as compared to the fourth quarter of 2010, during which the automotive category represented 23%. During the year ended December 31, 2011, the automotive category represented 24% of local and national advertising sales, and was essentially flat compared to the prior year, during which the automotive category represented 23%.
- The Company launched its 11th local lifestyle show and delivered approximately 1,350 more local programming hours during 2011, compared to 2010.
- During the year ended December 31, 2011, the Company delivered over 139 million total video impressions, and engaged 9.2 million monthly unique visitors on its stations’ web sites, an increase of 17% compared to 2010. Average time on site during the year was 21 minutes.
- According to comScore’s December 2011 report, 100% of the Company’s measured station web sites ranked number one or number two in their local market for time spent on site, and 93% ranked number one or number two in their local market for unique visitors and page views, versus the Company’s measured local broadcast competitors.3
- Mobile impressions, which include usage of the Company’s mobile web sites, smartphone and tablet applications, reached over 1 million downloads in 2011 with over 384 million page views, compared to 207 million page views during 2010, an increase of 85% year over year.
- During the year ended December 31, 2011, the Company delivered over 1 billion user actions, an increase of 26% over 2010.
- The Company continued its tradition of bringing innovative products to market and making it more convenient for users to access its local content on the most popular electronic devices, with the launch of its new and enhanced iPad app – “Report !tSM”, which combines LIN Media’s award-winning local content, video and citizen journalism technology, among other unique features, in a user-friendly experience that is customized and optimized for the tablet.
The Company’s outstanding revolving credit facility balance was $35.0 million as of December 31, 2011, as compared to no amounts outstanding as of December 31, 2010. There was $40.0 million available for borrowing under the revolving credit facility as of December 31, 2011. Consolidated net leverage was 4.9x as of December 31, 2011 as compared to 4.3x as of December 31, 2010. Other components of cash flow in the fourth quarter of 2011 include cash capital expenditures of $8.4 million and cash payments for programming of $5.8 million.Subsequent Events On January 3, 2012, the Company entered into an agreement for the sale of substantially all of the assets of WUPW-TV to WUPW, LLC, and on February 16, 2012, the Company completed the sale of WWHO-TV to Manhan Media, Inc. On January 20, 2012, the Company completed the redemption of its remaining Senior Subordinated Notes at par, plus accrued and unpaid interest through the redemption date. On March 5, 2012, because of anticipated future debt service shortfalls at the NBC joint venture, the Company and GE entered into a shortfall funding agreement covering the period through April 1, 2013. Business Outlook The Company has provided historical quarterly financial information for its continuing operations on its web site. Interested parties should go to the Investor Relations section at www.linmedia.com. The Company expects that net revenues for the first quarter of 2012 will increase in the range of 12% to 15% (or $10.3 million to $13.8 million), as compared to net revenues of $89.7 million in the first quarter of 2011. The Company expects that its direct operating and selling, general and administrative expenses, which include variable sales related expenses, will increase in the range of 13% to 15% (or $7.5 million to $8.5 million) in the first quarter of 2012 as compared to reported expenses of $55.5 million in the first quarter of 2011.
The Company’s current outlook for revenues, expenses and cash flow items for the first quarter of 2012, excluding special items, are anticipated to be in the following ranges:
|First Quarter of 2012|
|Net broadcast revenues||$92.0 to $94.0 million|
|Interactive revenues||$6.0 to $7.0 million|
|Network comp/Barter/Other revenues||$2.0 to $2.5 million|
|Total net revenues||$100.0 to $103.5 million|
|Direct operating and selling, general and administrative expenses(4)||$63.0 to $64.0 million|
|Station non-cash stock-based compensation expense||$0.4 million|
|Amortization of program rights||$5.0 to $5.5 million|
|Cash payments for programming||$5.0 to $5.5 million|
|Corporate expense(4)||$6.0 to $6.5 million|
|Corporate non-cash stock-based compensation expense||$1.2 million|
|Depreciation and amortization of intangibles||$7.0 to $7.5 million|
|Cash capital expenditures||$5.5 to $6.5 million|
|Cash interest expense||$9.5 to $10.0 million|
|Principal amortization of term loans||$0.7 million|
|Cash taxes||$0.0 to $0.1 million|
|Effective tax rate||40% to 42%|
|(4) Includes non-cash stock-based compensation expense.|
The Company advises that all of the information and factors set forth above are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions (see the “Forward-Looking Statements” heading below), which could individually or collectively cause actual results to differ materially from those projected above.Conference Call The Company will hold a conference call to discuss its fourth quarter and full year 2011 results today, March 14, 2012, at 8:30 AM Eastern Time. To participate in the call, please dial 1-877-397-0298 for U.S. callers and 1-719-325-4829 for international callers. The call-in pass code is 2343825. Callers who intend to participate in the call should dial-in 10 minutes before the start of the call to ensure access. The conference call will also be webcast simultaneously from the Company’s web site, www.linmedia.com, and can be accessed there through a link on the home page. For those unavailable to participate in the live teleconference, a replay can be accessed via the Investor Relations section of www.linmedia.com or by dialing 1-888-203-1112 and entering the same pass code as above. The telephone replay will be available through March 28, 2012. Access to Non-GAAP Financial Measures and Other Supplemental Financial Data The Company reports and discusses its operating results using financial measures consistent with generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”) and believes this should be the primary basis for evaluating its performance. Net income per diluted share, including special items, is a non-GAAP financial measure and is not intended to replace net income per diluted share, a directly comparable GAAP financial measure. Special items are items that are significant, and unusual or infrequent and provide more comparable information about the Company’s operating performance. Additionally, non-GAAP financial measures such as Broadcast Cash Flow (“BCF”), Adjusted Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization (“EBITDA”) and Free Cash Flow (“FCF”) should not be viewed as alternatives or substitutes for GAAP reporting. However, BCF, Adjusted EBITDA and FCF are common supplemental measures of performance used by investors, lenders, rating agencies and financial analysts. As a result, these non-GAAP measures can provide certain additional insight about the market value of the Company and its stations; the Company’s ability to fund acquisitions, investments and working capital needs; the Company’s ability to service its debt; the Company’s performance versus other peer companies in its industry; and other operating performance trends for its business. The Company makes available reconciliations of its operating income (loss), a GAAP reporting measure, to BCF, Adjusted EBITDA and FCF on the Company’s web site. In addition, the Company provides additional information on its web site, at the same location, regarding historical revenue by source, pro forma income statement information and certain other components of cash flow. Interested parties should go to the Investor Relations section of www.linmedia.com. Forward-Looking Statements The information discussed in this press release, particularly in the section with the heading Business Outlook, includes forward-looking statements about the Company’s future operating results within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. The Company based these forward-looking statements on its current assumptions, knowledge, estimates and projections about factors that could affect its future operations. Although the Company believes that its assumptions made in connection with the forward-looking statements are reasonable, no assurances can be given that those assumptions and expectations will prove to be correct. Statements in this press release that are forward-looking include, but are not limited to, local, national and political advertising growth; changes in digital, network compensation, barter and other revenues; changes in direct operating, selling, general and administrative, barter, amortization of program rights and corporate expenses; and cash programming, cash capital expenditures, cash interest expense and principal amortization, cash tax payments and effective tax rates and distributions from equity investments. These forward-looking statements are subject to various risks, uncertainties and assumptions which may cause these expectations and assumptions not to occur or to differ materially from those outcomes projected in the forward-looking statements. Such risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, ongoing economic uncertainty; restrictions on the Company’s operations as a result of the Company’s indebtedness; global or local events that could disrupt TV broadcasting; softening of the domestic advertising market; further consolidation of national and local advertisers, and the national sales representation market; potential liabilities related to the Company’s guarantee of the debt obligations of its joint venture with NBCUniversal; risks associated with acquisitions, including integration of acquired businesses; changes in TV viewing patterns, ratings and commercial viewing measurement; increases in news and syndicated programming costs, and capital expenditures; changes in television network affiliation agreements and retransmission consent agreements; changes in government regulation; competition; seasonality; effects of complying with accounting standards; potential influence of certain stockholders, including HM Capital Partners I, LP and its affiliates, and other risks discussed in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K and other filings made with the Securities and Exchange Commission (which are available on the Investor Relations section of www.linmedia.com, or at www.sec.gov), which are incorporated in this release by reference. The Company undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, unless otherwise required to by applicable law. About LIN Media LIN Media is a local multimedia company that operates or services 32 network-affiliates, television station web sites and mobile products. The Company's digital businesses offer innovative online technologies and solutions that deliver measurable results to advertisers.
LIN TV Corp. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “TVL”. Financial information about the company is available at www.linmedia.com.
|– financial tables follow –|
|LIN TV Corp.|
|Consolidated Statements of Operations|
|Three months ended December 31,||Twelve months ended December 31,|
|(in thousands, except per share data)|
|Selling, general and administrative||26,889||26,996||103,770||102,063|
|Amortization of program rights||5,214||5,461||21,406||22,719|
|General operating expenses||73,928||69,909||282,275||267,884|
|Depreciation, amortization and other operating charges (benefits):|
|Amortization of intangible assets||418||353||1,199||1,549|
|Loss (gain) from asset dispositions||63||135||472||(3,231||)|
|Interest expense, net||12,449||13,069||50,706||51,525|
|Share of loss in equity investments||719||35||4,957||169|
|(Gain) loss on derivative instruments||(192||)||(686||)||(1,960||)||1,898|
|Loss on extinguishment of debt||1,502||-||1,694||2,749|
|Other (income) expense, net||(7||)||(18||)||51||(728||)|
|Total other expense, net||14,471||12,400||55,448||55,613|
|Income before (benefit from) provision for income taxes||15,323||31,212||33,656||56,226|
|(Benefit from) provision for income taxes||(28,863||)||10,491||(16,045||)||20,045|
|Income from continuing operations||44,186||20,721||49,701||36,181|
|(Loss) income from discontinued operations, net of a (benefitfrom) provision for income taxes of $(740) and $191 for the threemonths ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively, and a(benefit from) provision for income taxes of $(595) and $181 forthe years ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively||(1,173||)||361||(920||)||317|
|Net income attributable to noncontrolling interests||51||-||204||-|
|Net income attributable to LIN TV Corp.||$||42,962||$||21,082||$||48,577||$||36,498|
|Basic income per common share attributable to LIN TV Corp.:|
|Income from continuing operations attributable to LIN TV Corp.||$||0.79||$||0.38||$||0.89||$||0.67|
|(Loss) income from discontinued operations, net of tax||(0.02||)||0.01||(0.02||)||0.01|
|Net income attributable to LIN TV Corp.||$||0.77||$||0.39||$||0.87||$||0.68|
|Weighted-average number of common shares outstanding|
|used in calculating basic income per common share||55,806||54,864||55,562||53,978|
|Diluted income per common share attributable to LIN TV Corp.:|
|Income from continuing operations attributable to LIN TV Corp.||$||0.78||$||0.37||$||0.87||$||0.65|
|(Loss) income from discontinued operations, net of tax||(0.02||)||0.01||(0.02||)||0.01|
|Net income attributable to LIN TV Corp.||$||0.76||$||0.38||$||0.85||$||0.66|
|Weighted-average number of common shares outstanding|
|used in calculating diluted income per common share||56,819||56,270||56,741||55,489|
|LIN TV Corp.|
|Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|(in thousands, except share data)|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||18,057||$||11,648|
|Accounts receivable, less allowance for doubtful accounts (2011 - $2,310; 2010 - $2,194)||91,093||81,031|
|Assets held for sale||3,253||2,133|
|Other current assets||6,090||5,243|
|Total current assets||373,652||100,055|
|Property and equipment, net||145,429||150,261|
|Deferred financing costs||12,472||7,759|
|Broadcast licenses and other intangible assets, net||400,081||387,253|
|Assets held for sale||12,505||16,173|
|LIABILITIES AND DEFICIT|
|Current portion of long-term debt||$||253,856||$||9,573|
|Liabilities held for sale||3,719||3,524|
|Total current liabilities||317,017||69,457|
|Long-term debt, excluding current portion||614,861||613,687|
|Deferred income taxes, net||163,122||185,997|
|Liabilities held for sale||1,308||3,054|
|Redeemable noncontrolling interest||3,503||-|
|LIN TV Corp. stockholders' deficit:|
|Class A common stock, $0.01 par value, 100,000,000 shares authorized,|
|Issued: 34,650,169 and 32,509,759 shares as of December 31, 2011 and2010, respectively|
|Outstanding: 33,012,351 and 31,636,941 shares as of December 31, 2011and 2010, respectively||309||294|
|Class B common stock, $0.01 par value, 50,000,000 shares authorized,|
|23,401,726 and 23,502,059 shares as of December 31, 2011 and 2010,respectively, issued and outstanding; convertible into an equal number ofshares of Class A or Class C common stock||235||235|
|Class C common stock, $0.01 par value, 50,000,000 shares authorized,|
|2 shares as of December 31, 2011 and 2010, issued and outstanding;convertible into an equal number of shares of Class A common stock||-||-|
|Treasury stock, 1,637,818 and 872,818 shares of Class A common stock as of|
|December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively, at cost||(10,598||)||(7,869||)|
|Additional paid-in capital||1,121,589||1,109,814|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(38,777||)||(27,939||)|
|Total LIN TV Corp. stockholders' deficit||(84,632||)||(131,432||)|
|Total liabilities, redeemable noncontrolling interest and deficit||$||1,077,695||$||790,469|
|LIN TV Corp.|
|Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows|
|Year Ended December 31,|
|Loss (income) from discontinued operations||920||(317||)|
|Adjustment to reconcile net income to net cash provided by operating activities:|
|Amortization of intangible assets||1,199||1,549|
|Amortization of financing costs and note discounts||3,755||4,519|
|Amortization of program rights||21,406||22,719|
|Loss (gain) on extinguishment of debt||1,694||2,749|
|(Gain) loss on derivative instruments||(1,960||)||1,898|
|Share of loss in equity investments||4,957||169|
|Deferred income taxes, net||(16,586||)||19,501|
|Loss (gain) from asset dispositions||472||(3,231||)|
|Changes in operating assets and liabilities, net of acquisitions:|
|Accrued interest expense||(851||)||3,326|
|Other liabilities and accrued expenses||(3,634||)||370|
|Net cash provided by operating activities, continuing operations||63,062||88,858|
|Net cash (used in) provided by operating activities, discontinued operations||(402||)||1,373|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||62,660||90,231|
|Change in restricted cash||(255,159||)||2,000|
|Payments for business combinations, net of cash acquired||(9,033||)||(575||)|
|Proceeds from the sale of assets||74||200|
|Payments on derivative instruments||(2,020||)||(2,226||)|
|Shortfall loans to joint venture with NBCUniversal||(2,483||)||(4,079||)|
|Other investments, net||(375||)||(1,980||)|
|Net cash used in investing activities, continuing operations||(289,065||)||(24,109||)|
|Net cash (used in) provided by investing activities, discontinued operations||(115||)||460|
|Net cash used in investing activities||(289,180||)||(23,649||)|
|Net proceeds on exercises of employee and director stock-based compensation||841||790|
|Proceeds from borrowings on long-term debt||417,695||213,000|
|Principal payments on long-term debt||(175,216||)||(274,351||)|
|Payment of long-term debt issue costs||(7,662||)||(5,033||)|
|Treasury stock purchased||(2,729||)||-|
|Net cash provided by (used in) financing activities, continuing operations||232,929||(65,594||)|
|Net cash used in financing activities, discontinued operations||-||(445||)|
|Net cash provided by (used in) financing activities||232,929||(66,039||)|
|Net increase (decrease) in cash and cash equivalents||6,409||543|
|Cash and cash equivalents at the beginning of the period||11,648||11,105|
|Cash and cash equivalents at the end of the period||$||18,057||$||11,648|
|Reconciliation of Operating Income to Adjusted EBITDA and|
|Computation of Adjusted EBITDA Margin|
|Net revenue||$ 400,003||$ 408,190|
|Operating income||$ 89,104||$ 111,839|
|Add:||Amortization of program rights||21,406||22,719|
|Amortization of intangible assets||1,199||1,549|
|Stock-based compensation expense||6,176||4,863|
|(Gain) Loss on sale of assets||472||(3,231)|
|Subtract:||Cash payments for programming||24,622||25,066|
|Adjusted EBITDA||$ 122,859||$ 142,822|
|Adjusted EBITDA Margin||31%||35%|