- Revenue increased 9% to $3.4 million, compared to $3.1 million last year, and included an increase in core product revenue in North America of $406,000 compared to the fourth quarter a year ago. This overall revenue increase was net of a decline of approximately $129,000 of total revenue compared to the prior year period, resulting from the discontinuation of underperforming product lines and certain Jones Soda SKU offerings (stock keeping units), initiated in the second half of 2010. Core products include continuing Jones Soda SKU offerings and WhoopAss Energy Drink.
- Gross profit increased 24% to $693,000, or 20% of revenue, compared to $557,000, or 18% of revenue, last year. Gross profit for the 2010 period was negatively impacted by the write-down of excess GABA inventory.
- Operating expenses increased 7% to $2.7 million compared to $2.6 million last year, mostly driven by increased selling expenses due to investments in added sales personnel to support our growth strategy, offsetting decreases in general and administrative expenses.
- Net loss was $2.0 million, or $(0.06) per share, compared to a net loss of $1.8 million, or $(0.06) per share, last year. The prior year period was benefited by non-recurring licensing proceeds of $125,000 relating to the sale of our patents, which reduced the net loss for the prior year.
- Revenue decreased 1% to $17.4 million, compared to $17.5 million in the prior year. Total revenues reflect both an increase in core product revenue in North America of approximately $1.8 million compared to the prior year and a related decrease of $1.3 million resulting from the discontinuation, in the second half of 2010, of underperforming product lines and certain Jones Soda SKU offerings.
- Gross profit increased 6% to $4.3 million, or 25% of revenue, compared to $4.0 million, or 23% of revenue, last year. Gross profit for 2010 was negatively impacted by the write-down of excess GABA inventory.
- Operating expenses increased 8% to $11.5 million compared to $10.7 million in the prior year and included a $350,000 charge accrued to the second quarter of 2011 in connection with the termination of our New Jersey Nets sponsorship agreement in August 2011. Operating expenses for 2011 also included increased selling expenses due to investments in added sales personnel to support our growth strategy, offsetting decreases in general and administrative expenses.
- Net loss was $7.2 million, or $(0.22) per share, compared to a net loss of $6.1 million, or $(0.22) per share, in the prior year. The Company benefited in 2010 by a tax refund of $392,000 resulting from our Canadian operations and by non-recurring licensing proceeds of $125,000 relating to the sale of our patents, which reduced the net loss for that year.
On February 7, 2012, the Company closed the registered direct offering it announced on February 2, 2012, issuing 6,415,000 shares and warrants to purchase 3,207,500 shares. The Company received net proceeds of approximately $2.8 million.Conference Call The Company will discuss its results for the quarter and fiscal year ended December 31, 2011 and its business outlook on its scheduled conference call today, March 8, 2012 at 1:30 p.m., Pacific time (4:30 p.m. ET). This call is being webcast and can be accessed by visiting the Webcasts section of our website at www.jonessoda.com. Investors may also listen to the call via telephone by dialing (719) 955-1566 (confirmation code: 2492028). In addition, a telephone replay will be available by dialing (858) 384-5517 (confirmation code: 2492028) through March 15, 2012, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time. About Jones Soda Co. Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, Jones Soda Co. ® markets and distributes premium beverages under the Jones Soda, Jones Pure Cane Soda ® and WhoopAss Energy Drink ® brands and sells through its distribution network, in markets primarily across North America. A leader in the premium soda category, Jones is known for its variety of flavors and innovative labeling technique that incorporates always-changing photos sent in from its consumers. Jones Soda is sold through traditional beverage retailers. For more information, visit www.jonessoda.com or www.myjones.com. Forward-Looking Statements Disclosure Certain statements in this press release are "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements include all passages containing words such as "aims," "anticipates," "becoming," "believes," "continue," "estimates," "expects," "future," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "projects," "targets," or "upcoming". Forward-looking statements also include any other passages that are primarily relevant to expected future events or that can only be evaluated by events that will occur in the future. Forward-looking statements are based on the opinions and estimates of management at the time the statements are made and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated or implied in the forward-looking statements. Factors that could affect Jones Soda's actual results include, among others, its ability to successfully execute on its operating plan; its ability to generate sufficient cash flow from operations; its ability to streamline operations and reduce operating expenses; its ability to secure additional financing should it fail to successfully execute on its operating plan; its ability to develop and introduce new products to satisfy customer preferences; changes in consumer demand or market acceptance for its products; its use of the net proceeds from any financings to improve its financial condition; its ability to maintain compliance with the continued listing requirements of The Nasdaq Capital Market, its ability to increase demand and points of distribution for its products or to successfully innovate new products and product extensions; its ability to establish, maintain and expand distribution arrangements with distributors, retailers or national retail accounts; its ability to maintain relationships with co-packers; its ability to maintain a consistent and cost-effective supply of raw materials; its ability to maintain brand image and product quality; its ability to protect its intellectual property; the impact of future litigation; and the impact of intense competition from other beverage suppliers. More information about factors that potentially could affect Jones Soda's operations or financial results is included in Jones Soda's most recent annual report on Form 10-K and in the Company’s quarterly reports on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission in 2011. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance upon these forward-looking statements that speak only as to the date of this release. Except as required by law, Jones Soda undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking or other statements in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
|JONES SODA CO. CONSOLIDATED STATEMENT OF OPERATIONS (In thousands, except share data)|
|Three Months Ended December 31,||Twelve Months Ended December 31,|
|Cost of goods sold||2,734||2,424||13,120||12,978|
|Write-down of excess GABA inventory||—||162||—||506|
|Gross profit %||20.2||%||17.7||%||24.6||%||23.1||%|
|Promotion and selling||1,586||1,265||6,296||4,676|
|General and administrative||1,160||1,298||5,235||5,983|
|Loss from operations||(2,048||)||(2,000||)||(7,226||)||(6,586||)|
|Other income, net||25||123||104||142|
|Loss before income taxes||(2,023||)||(1,877||)||(7,122||)||(6,444||)|
|Income tax benefit (expense), net||43||35||(32||)||338|
|Net loss per share — basic and diluted||$||(0.06||)||$||(0.06||)||$||(0.22||)||$||(0.22||)|
|Weighted average basic and diluted common shares outstanding||32,101,291||28,342,274||31,896,848||27,172,697|
|Three Months Ended December 31,||Twelve Months Ended December 31,|
|Case sales data (288-ounce equivalent)||2011||2010||2011||2010|
|Finished product cases||265,100||228,000||1,301,000||1,324,000|
|JONES SODA CO. CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS (In thousands, except share data)|
|December 31, 2011||December 31, 2010|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||1,709||$||5,448|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||199||305|
|Total current assets||6,265||10,732|
|Liabilities and Shareholders’ Equity|
|Deferred rent, current portion||25||—|
|Capital lease obligations, current portion||23||—|
|Total current liabilities||2,713||2,591|
|Capital lease obligations||82||—|
|Long-term liabilities — other||457||2|
|Common stock, no par value:|
|Issued and outstanding: 32,100,882 and 30,418,301 shares, respectively||50,090||47,917|
|Additional paid-in capital||7,116||6,570|
|Accumulated other comprehensive income||420||450|
|Total shareholders’ equity||4,405||8,870|
|Total liabilities and shareholders’ equity||$||7,657||$||11,463|