NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- rue21 (Nasdaq: RUE) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from sell to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 18.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- RUE21 INC has improved earnings per share by 20.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, RUE21 INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.22 versus $0.57 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.53 versus $1.22).
- Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 0.33 is very low and demonstrates very weak liquidity.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $7.44 million or 52.05% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- RUE has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 19.78% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet RatingsStaff