Love is in the air. Amazon.com today announced its list of the Top 20 Most Romantic Cities in the U.S. After compiling sales data of romance novels and relationship books (Kindle Books and print books), romantic comedy movies (digital movies and DVDs), Barry White albums (CDs and MP3s), along with sexual wellness products, since January 1 on a per capita basis in cities with over 100,000 residents, the top 20 most romantic cities in the U.S. are:
|1. Knoxville, Tenn.||11. Pittsburgh, Penn.|
|2. Alexandria, Va.||12. Clearwater, Fla.|
|3. Springfield, Mo.||13. St. Louis, Mo.|
|4. Orlando, Fla.||14. Erie, Pa.|
|5. Cincinnati, Ohio||15. Clarksville, Tenn.|
|6. Vancouver, Wash.||16. Everett, Wash.|
|7. Miami, Fla.||17. Gainesville, Fla.|
|8. Murfreesboro, Tenn.||18. Las Vegas, Nev.|
|9. Dayton, Ohio||19. Rochester, N.Y.|
|10. Columbia, S.C.||20. Tallahassee, Fla.|
- For the last two years, Alexandria, Va., has been the most romantic city in the U.S. This year, Knoxville, Tenn., turned up the heat, taking the first place position and knocking Alexandria to the No. 2 spot.
- Knoxville has been gaining momentum on the romance scale. In 2011 it received “most improved,” jumping 14 places to come in second—this year that momentum carried it all the way to the top spot.
- Cupid didn’t strike New York City this year. According to Amazon customers’ purchase habits, NYC is the least romantic city in the U.S. Winston-Salem, N.C., Patterson, N.J., and El Monte, Calif., also took bottom spots in the ranking.
- Florida is for romantics, with four cities—Orlando, Miami, Clearwater, and Gainesville--ranking among the top 20 most romantic cities.
- For the third year in a row, Miami is the sexiest city in the U.S., winning the top spot in the sexual wellness category.
- The big movers and shakers this year were Dayton, Ohio, climbing 10 spots since last year, and Springfield, Mo., which wasn’t even on the map last year and is now ranked No. 3 on this year’s list.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, and www.amazon.es. As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.Forward-Looking Statements This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management's expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com's financial results is included in Amazon.com's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.