- Superior Performance and User Experience – With a large number of virtual desktops, corporate networks can see a considerable increase in traffic due to greater amounts of data being transferred between clients and desktops in the data center. When clients access their desktops using a WAN or the Internet, performance can quickly deteriorate. BIG-IP solutions improve VDI performance by reducing server load, optimizing TCP connections, and intelligently managing both local and global traffic. In addition, BIG-IP provides Quality of Service and supports Multi-Stream ICA, improving the performance of latency-sensitive traffic such as VoIP.
- Infrastructure Savings – Many add-on components are often needed to maximize the performance of VDI deployments, which can rapidly increase costs. Because BIG-IP integrates easily into most existing infrastructures, it can substantially reduce the ancillary costs associated with new VDI deployments. For Citrix XenDesktop deployments, BIG-IP v11.1 provides additional savings with its integrated web interface service, which eliminates the need for Citrix web interface servers and ticketing servers.
- High Availability and Scalability – In addition to offloading computationally intensive tasks from servers and optimizing TCP, BIG-IP’s intelligent traffic management features enable it to route users away from data centers that are overloaded or experiencing downtime. This not only improves availability but also enables organizations to easily scale their VDI deployments as their needs change.
- Improved Security – For most organizations, security is a paramount concern as more workers want access to corporate resources using personal devices such as smartphones and tablets. BIG-IP significantly enhances security of VDI deployments by enabling IT to apply unified access and security policies across all devices and users, both internal and external.
- Quick Deployment and Simplified Management – BIG-IP solutions include native iApps™ templates for VMware View and Citrix XenDesktop. Because iApps templates markedly shorten deployment time, reduce the chance of manual configuration errors, and make it easier to manage VDI deployments across multiple data centers, BIG-IP also helps reduce operating expenses.
“VDI solutions have the potential to provide many benefits—especially as the mobile workforce continues to grow and users want access to mission critical applications from any device, anywhere,” said Mark Bowker, Senior Analyst with Enterprise Strategy Group. “But VDI solutions must be implemented correctly in order to deliver the cost savings, optimum security, and excellent performance required to preserve a consistent user experience. Enterprises that understand the full capabilities of their network infrastructure and are able to use those resources to their maximum advantage have a greater chance of realizing the long-term financial and operational benefits of VDI.”Availability Support for VDI solutions is available today in version 11 of various BIG-IP products, including BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager™ (LTM™), BIG-IP Global Traffic Manager™ (GTM™), BIG-IP Access Policy Manager™ (APM™), and BIG-IP Edge Gateway™. Integrated web interface service and support for Citrix Multi-Stream ICA are new features of BIG-IP version 11.1 products, also available today. No additional licensing is required to support VDI. Supporting Resources
- Adaptable and Resilient VDI Deployments – White Paper
- Improving VDI with Scalable Infrastructure – White Paper
- F5 for VMware View – Video Collection
This press release may contain forward looking statements relating to future events or future financial performance that involve risks and uncertainties. Such statements can be identified by terminology such as "may," "will," "should," "expects," "plans," "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "predicts," "potential," or "continue," or the negative of such terms or comparable terms. These statements are only predictions and actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in these statements based upon a number of factors including those identified in the company's filings with the SEC.