EWM follows the MSCI Malaysia Index which is a proprietary index follow the equity market of Malaysia. The fund was launched in March 1996. The expense ratio is .53%. AUM equal $856 million and average daily trading volume is 1.9M shares. (These figures compare with $1.1 billion and average daily trading volume equals 2.6M shares in the early summer 2011.) As of early January 2012 the annual dividend yield was 4.06% and YTD return .90%.
Malaysia remains a resource rich country (rubber & palm oil) with excellent demographics indicating a consumer driven economy as well.
Data as of First Quarter 2012 EWM Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- CIMB Group Holdings Berhad: 9.61%
- Malayan Banking Bhd Maybank: 7.78%
- Sime Darby Berhad (Malaysia): 6.78%
- Genting Bhd (3182): 6.23%
- IOI Corp Berhad: 4.48%
- Tenaga Nasional Berhad: 4.29%
- Petronas Chemicals: 4.00%
- Public Bank Berhad: 3.69%
- Axiata Group BHD: 3.61%
- Maxis Bhd: 3.45%
IDX follows the Market Vectors Indonesia Index which features companies domiciled in Indonesia or earning at least 50% of their revenues from the country. The fund was launched in January 2009. The expense ratio is .60%. AUM equal $503 million and average daily trading volume is 366K shares. (In early summer 2011, AUM was $800 million and average daily trading volume is 400K shares reflecting the sharp market decline.) As of early January 2012 the annual dividend yield was 1.6% and YTD return was 1.4%.
Like other countries in the region, Indonesia is rich in natural resources from timber, agriculture mining and energy. The country is also an OPEC member.
Data as of First Quarter 2012 IDX Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Astra International Tbk (ASII): 8.46%
- Bank Central Asia Tbk (BBCA): 8.07%
- P.T. Telekomunikasi Indonesia Tbk. ADR (TLK): 6.95%
- Bank Rakyat Indonesia (Persero) Tbk B: 6.69%
- PT Bank Mandiri (Persero) TBK: 5.92%
- United Tractors Tbk: 4.36%
- PT Perusahaan Gas Negara (Persero) TBK (PGAS): 3.86%
- Bumi Resources Tbk: 3.53%
- Gudang Garam TBK: 3.51%
- Golden Agri-Resources Ltd. (E5H): 3.50%
Tsunamis and flooding didn't slow the Thai market down much. Once again this is due to excellent demographics and large natural resources.
Data as of First Quarter 2012 THD Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- PTT Public Co Ltd: 10.92%
- PTT Exploration & Production PCL (PTTEP): 7.53%
- Siam Commercial Bank Public Co Ltd: 7.06%
- Kasikornbank Public Company, Ltd. (KBANK-F): 5.77%
- Bangkok Bank PCL (BBL-F): 5.53%
- Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited: 5.19%
- CP All Public Co Ltd: 4.59%
- Ptt Chemical Public Company Limited ADR (PTTCH-R): 4.55%
- Siam Cement: 4.45%
- Charoen Pokphand Foods Public Co Ltd: 4.14%
The Philippines is another resource rich country with mining, agriculture and excellent demographics making the consumer sector more dynamic. Most important is this is the best performing market of the group overall.
Data as of First Quarter 2012 EPHE Top Ten Holdings &Weightings
- Philippine Long Distance Telephone (PHTCF): 8.84%
- SM Investments Corp: 8.17%
- Ayala Land Inc: 6.98%
- Aboitiz Equity Ventures Inc: 6.48%
- Sm Prime Holdings Inc: 6.05%
- Manila Electric Co: 5.69%
- Aboitiz Power Corp: 4.58%
- Ayala Corp: 4.35%
- BDO Unibank Inc: 4.32%
- Energy Development Corp: 3.86%
Here it should be noted that inflation and currency devaluation have crippled equity performance. Further the economy and country are still heavily state controlled as a carryover from communist days continues. This doesn't help the free market economy despite much investor interest in the country.
Data as of First Quarter 2012 VNM Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- BaoViet Holdings: 8.49%
- Vietnam Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Industry and Trade: 6.94%
- Petrovietnam Fertilizer & Chemicals: 6.30%
- Joint Stock Commercial Bank For Foreign Trade of Vietnam: 6.24%
- Vincom Joint Stock Co: 6.23%
- Premier Oil PLC (PMO): 6.03%
- Charoen Pokphand Foods Public Co Ltd: 5.79%
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. (ONGC): 5.06%
- Talisman Energy Inc (TLM): 4.71%
- Gamuda Berhad: 4.54%
You may address any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The ETF Digest has no current positions in the featured ETFs.
(Source for data is from ETF sponsors and various ETF data providers)